Fly Fusion Forums

Floating Line Recommendation

chiasson

I'm in the market for a new floating line for my 6 wt. The line is to be a general purpose line dry line for trout fishing - dries and hopper dropper rigs mostly but also simple nymph and wets/soft hackle rigs, no streamers. The thing is, if such a beast exists, I'd opt for a line that excels at single hand spey casting at the expense of being a great overhead casting line over your run of the mill weight forward. Out of necessity, I'd say that 80%, or more, of my casting for trout on rivers is spey; therefore, it would be great to get a specialized line. For the last while I've been fishing a wf7 line which seems to get the job done but I know there are better options out there, I just don't know what they are. I've read that the Rio Gold might be a good bet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7wt SA Sharkskin Magnum Taper. Similar to the profile of the Rio Gold, slightly more front end heavy. It will provide a substantial anchor for your single spey casting with the 9' rod. The Z is going to require an overline in order to load for the cast. I'm using a 6wt Magnum on my Wind Warrior 1005 fast action and it works very well for single hand spey roll casting chironomid rigs with 20' leaders.

j

Lots of good choices. Airflo 40+, Loop Opti Stream, Guideline Bullet, Wulff Triangle Taper, Rio Steelhead. I use a 7wt 40+ on my Sage 99 6wt and it'll turn anything over. Don't go with Sharkskin if you plan on using sustained anchor casts. Since Sharkskin is made to float very high and pull off the water easily it doesn't give you enough surface tension for doubles and snaps.

Lots of good choices. Airflo 40+, Loop Opti Stream, Guideline Bullet, Wulff Triangle Taper, Rio Steelhead. I use a 7wt 40+ on my Sage 99 6wt and it'll turn anything over. Don't go with Sharkskin if you plan on using sustained anchor casts. Since Sharkskin is made to float very high and pull off the water easily it doesn't give you enough surface tension for doubles and snaps.

The line I'm replacing is actually a standard sharkskin. I found it to be a great dry fly line for overhead casting but, as you mentioned, it wouldn't work well for spey, for me at least.

Regarding the Rio steelhead, I already have one in a 7. I bought it for a switch rod which I don't have anymore. I didn't even think to try because I assumed it would be too heavy. The head on it is super long and heavy, over 300 grains I believe. Is it worth a try on the 690?

I have been using mainy of the Rio lines this spring on my Z-Axis 6100. I do a lot of single handed spey casts myself. While the Steelhead line will work great for spey casts I think the best line that will still present dry adequately would be the Gold. I would really second guess up weighting the rod, they don't require a up weigting to load the rod; I can let you feel the difference of a 7 and 6 wt lines on a Z-Axis. You'll will considerably slow the rod down. But to each his own there are many that think you must over weight a fast action rod.

I deff second the gold. i have a 6wt on my 5 and a 7wt on my 6. Overlining is the key for the faster rod for my anyways (and yes i have wasted lots on other lines that didnt work as well as the gold) U still got to get the timing down tho ... The gold is an awesome overhand also, to me anyways and im no pro. Everyone likes the gold. U still in the highlands

agree, the gold is a fantastic overhead line though it is a very poor choice for spey in comparison to the opti stream. btw a #6 or #7 opti stream(depending on your casting ability) would be my choice for this rod.

a word about overlining....

overlining will definately make a faster rod behave like a slightly slower rod. What is sacrificed is casting performance and fly presentation. Generally speaking fast recovering rods are a poor choice for novice and intermediate casters. We often overline fast rods to enable novice and intermediate casters to better feel the rod load. If you typically find that you need one line size heavier to load your rod you may want to look at something with a slower, more forgiving action or invest in a casting lesson tune up. Many good casters remark that they need to go one line size up to spey cast. This is typically indicitive of a line that is not ideal for single hand speycasting ie too long for the rod length.

I have the oprti stream lines in stock if anyone is looking, they are pretty much the perfect all around river line(single and overhead) just be ready for the most expensive single hand line on the market.

Brian Niska 1-888-822-3474

Hmmmmm..........good point, i guess i jus got used to overlining and it works for me, dry fly fishing is different though where presentation is key, but for bigger stuff i like a heaver line to help roll out the flies a little easier. Ive tried lighter lines for spey casting but it seems like a size up made quite a bit off diference for roll casts. Kinda wish the head on the gold was a bit longer even at 40'. U say the steelhead lines work well?

Hmmmmm..........good point, i guess i jus got used to overlining and it works for me, dry fly fishing is different though where presentation is key, but for bigger stuff i like a heaver line to help roll out the flies a little easier. Ive tried lighter lines for spey casting but it seems like a size up made quite a bit off diference for roll casts. Kinda wish the head on the gold was a bit longer even at 40'. U say the steelhead lines work well?

[/quotI

I haven't tried the steelhead line yet, will soon though. If it works, great. I can't see it working though being so long and heavy. I'm leaning towards trying the 40+ ridge in a 6 or 7. Its available where I'm at etc..

What's the damage on the opti stream outta curiosity?