Fly Fusion Forums

Belly Boat Questions

Hi all,

Been watching the board for a long time now but seldom post. First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone for all of the information I have picked up on lurking around here. I really appreciate the fact you all are willing to share your knowledge and experience. This is my "go-to" website whenever I have some time to kill.

I have two sons, one seven, one eleven. My older boy has been flyfishing for a few years now. When we hit the local ponds he has been using my old float tube but it's getting old and a bit tattered. The young gun figures he's ready to go this year, so i am in the market for a couple new belly boats. My old boat is the inner tube style and I feel pretty safe with putting a lifejacket and waders on my kid and turning him loose.

I have been looking at some u tube style boats and am wondering how stable they are if you lean forward in one. Also do they sit you up higher and out of the water? If they do, I can see this being a bonus in the spring when the water is colder. Its not fun of with cold feet, let alone frozen berries.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Darryl

fish cat kick boats are a great way to fish smaller water. I have had one for years with no trouble, love being able to swing fish right between my legs for release. I do reccomend picking up some spare valves to keep in the pockets. I have had some slow leaks, not a major concern but best to be prepared. Most likely do to me putting to much pressure in them. Fishcats I believe run about $160, extra valves $5. My opinion you can't go wrong. You can pay more for one but at that point like Uberfly said you may as well go to a pontoon.

Better to get a good, solid U tube like an Outcast FishCat 4 than a "cheapy" pontoon that won't stand up.

A good pontoon is upwards of $550 minimum. Wait until he can buy his own!! :)

j

I guess I need to clarify my post... Buy he 'toon for yourself and give him your current tube! The 7 y/o gets the one he's using, etc. ;)

P

If it was me... I'd be buying a pontoon (if that's an option for you)! I mean why sit "in" the water and freeze your a$$ off when you can sit "on top" of the water and not!!

P

i have a fish cat 4.

i have been using it for 5 years now, no leaks, no damage, no holes

it gets tossed in the truck come spring and then back in the basement. i'm hard on my gear and it has been put through the paces. if it can stand up to me it can handle most kids.

you do sit more or less out of the water buti find sometimes my butt still gets damp.

the U boat is very stable, i havent tried to slide out the front but i have managed to fall out leaning forward to land a fish either

Thanks for all the replies. You bet I am on a pontoon and love it, opens up all kinds of new fishing opportunities. As for the kids, well maybe when I upgrade the older one will be big enough for moving water and can have my old pontoon. This is more for lake stuff. The fishcat looks pretty cool. I want something that is going to last a while. Does it have some sort of seatbelt or T strap, or could a guy rig something up.

i have a fish cat 4.

i have been using it for 5 years now, no leaks, no damage, no holes

it gets tossed in the truck come spring and then back in the basement. i'm hard on my gear and it has been put through the paces. if it can stand up to me it can handle most kids.

you do sit more or less out of the water buti find sometimes my butt still gets damp.

the U boat is very stable, i havent tried to slide out the front but i have managed to fall out leaning forward to land a fish either

May_25_08b_1.jpg

j

thanks Jack...

as you can see, yes it has an apron that attaches at 4 points. 2 clips in the front and 2 at the waste that are velcro. i personally find it a pain in the arse, but it keeps the kids in. kind of like the kids seat in the grocery cart

Nice... er, fish Jack!

Does that stripping apron hold you in a bit or is it the light elastic type tethers on it?

Luckily she doesn't have a brush-cut or a gray mustache! :)

j