Fly Fusion Forums

How Many "dry Flies" Do U Fish At Once?

Now that is an interesting question for you boys and Ladies of course out there in La La land...

..had asked a friend of mine from Luxembourg, here was his answer..

.. Hi-vis klinkhammer (or para-dun or any easily visible fly) and a very small fly-20 or 22 (e.g. grifffiths gnat or f-fly) trailing behind it can be deadly [around 2' or less]- particularly in faster water or at dusk where it's very hard to see small flies. The bigger fly is acting as a strike indicator and also gets taken itself.

..well, what is your take on this I ask you?........Wolfie

I often fish a larger (12-14), visible dry fly with a size 18-20 emerger or wet fly behind it, which is not really the point of the post, but seems to work well. I don't know what role, if any, the larger fly has in attracing the fish, but I like to think that it helps to get the attention of the fish, whereas the smaller fly gets taken more often. I am not sure if this is due to the smaller size, or the emerger aspect, or both.

I usually fish only one; but, sometimes tying on 2 pays off. Last summer I was fishing a creek with a big ole Chernobyl Ant trailing a tiny parachute Adams. Landed this 18" brown on the Adams...

p7030363.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p7030364.jpg

Then, landed this 19"er from the same run on the Chernobyl...

p7030367.jpg

p7030365.jpg