Fly Fusion Forums

The "f" Word: Foul-hooking

I have noticed a large percentage (~ 30%) of foul hookings lately while I am nymphing (2 fly set-up, floating line, all on point fly, #18 PT nymph). Mostly belly or chin. Anyone know what this signifies? Basically, I think I am striking too late. Can anyone enlighten me so I can avoid this distasteful situation?

like tungsten mentioned it could be the wide gale hook on a she if that is the rig you are using, second it could be timing aswell being a little to late, another could be the distance between flies ifthey are too close u will foul more Iime 16" or so between flies and another option could be strikin on super subtle takes were u are just lining the fish and not getting takes but it is rubbing along side th because they are stacked on a seam or dropoff you are fishing... hope thet helps!

No, the gap is very small, as it is a size 18, 2x long, normal gap hook. The distance to the upper fly, a SJW, was about 18 inches, but no bites or foul hooks were on the worm, so I don't think they were going for the upper fly. The fish certainly were stacked along the linear structure I was fishing, and they must have been tight in there, as I hooked 7 rainbows in about 20-30 feet, some of them reasonably large.

I do not strike that often, or at randow, however, only when I see the indicator move noticeably, so I am pretty sure they were actually going for, or had already rejected the fly. As I could not possibly anticipate a strike, except by chance (and certainly not 30% of the time), so that leaves me thinking that they had already rejected the fly.

Perhaps there is too much slack in my system and I cannot sense the strikes until too late?

I was also having this happen to me fishing around the island at police from my boat a couple weekends ago. out of the 9 fish I caught I bet at least half were foul hooked on the belly in between the front fins. All were the smaller fish also. All of the bigger fish caught were hooked right in the mouth. I am just wondering if maybe they were stacked up in the shallows where I was fishing and were brushing my line making the indicator move which then gets me setting the hooks.

Nate

Good chance you are just lining fish that are stacked up in a certain spot. They may be looking at your flies, but not taking them.

I see this happening in lakes quite often. At least you are casting where the fish are.

Guest Sundancefisher

Maybe they are a little interested in your hooks but just enough to take a close look. They are hitting the line and giving the impression of a bite so you set the hook. Trying twitching the line in at varying speed to see if they will bite versus get snagged.

Hey, was out tonight for a few hours down in fish creek. I managed to hook a 22" brown right by the tail. He fought for a good 10 minutes and took me into my backing twice. I was wondering what his chances of survival after being reeled in backwards like that for 10 minutes. That can't be good for the gills. When I got him in my net, he went sideways and lay there while I got the hook out. Once I turned him facing upstream again he Was right way up again and SLOWLY swam away he looked very tired but still aware. Curious what you guys think?