Fly Fusion Forums

Chopping Up A 10wt Line For A Short Taper 8wt Big Fly Chucker

bowbuster

I have a 10 wt line that i got really cheap with intentions of choppin it up for chuckin big flies on my 8wt but not sure how to go about it other than trial and error starting with 2feet at a time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do i cut out a section and loopp them back together so i still have the tapered end or just chop off the taper alltogether and scrap it. Im guessing that the taper would help everything lay out better but the loop to loop connection may be a problem with sliding in through the guides or out for that matter. I have done welded loops with the shrink tube method and it works good but a little bulky so maybe loop connectors with bloodknots to secure em and a bit of zap a gap to slick them up? My guess would be get rid of atleast half the belly. That should drop it atleast 1wt?

For big flies, getting rid of any long small taper at the front will help turn over. Just check out the specs online for pike lines or Clouser's line - there's only 6 inches of tip and that could probably be chopped down or replaced with stiff mono. http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=36

I recommend a sensitive scale for chopping lines so you can estimate before you chop and know afterward - London drugs sells one that goes to 0.1 grams (15.4 grains per gram). For an 8 wt line you're looking at 210 grains standard, but you may want heavier or lighter depending on your rod and casting style (e.g. the Airflo 40+ 8 wt runs at about 320 grains). Welded loops aren't a problem with lighter lines if you cut the end of the line on an angle and just fold it over without any extra material. You can also nail knot a section of 30# test on and put a perfection loop in or use a braided loop.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/k...lineratings.htm