Fly Fusion Forums

A Reminder About Dogs And Bones

A friend of mine got a couple of puppies and I positively CRINGED when I saw them chewing on a T-Bone from a BBQ'd steak they just cooked. I went out on a limb at the risk of offending her and told her the many reasons why those types of bones are bad for dogs and, thankfully, she was very thankful.

I know we have had past posts on this and a couple of sick doggies, but I ran across this article this morning and I thought it serves as a good reminder.

Our policy on dog bones as per our breeder and our vet is nothing but raw buffalo bones - if it's cooked it can kill. They give the chewing satisfaction without all the health risks of "cooked" bones. Spread the word dog lovers!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,591364,00.html

I'm with ya Lynn. Been there last year where my dog got dehydrated from a ham bone as some may remember. Ham is cured with salt. Being that my boy is only 4 lbs. the salt started to solidify in his body blocking his digestive tract. Dogs don't process salt well either! Who knew?

I sure found out quickly that the C.A.R.E. centre provided extremely good treatment to my pal. At a cost of about $1k a day!!! But, what was the alternative.....ah no, he was only 14 months old so he still had some living to do.

The staff thanked me for saving him when I went to pay for him after he recovered. They said few would have done so and would have done the "dirty deed" instead.

I couldn't. So now, I'm trying to get my ?$K worth of lovin out of him. He better live forever 'cuz he owes me!!!

FHD

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,591364,00.html

At no point does this article mention cooking. That's a myth; raw bones can hurt them too.

Any bone that is not raw - i.e. right from the animal and packaged or frozen is considered cooked or "processed"....but it is cooked in some manner. I do agree that raw bones can hurt your dogs too....your dog has to have the "constitution" to handle raw food. I have a lab that can't have anything but his kibble or he's puking and crapping for days. Literally - anything - even too many milk bones send him over the edge. But I've got a golden who has eaten raw chicken breasts, thighs, turkey necks, backs, buffalo bones, knuckles - and loves it and it agrees with him. So...ya...you gotta be careful. But no dog should ever get a cooked bone - I stand by that statement and so do the professionals who know about dogs.

Lynn

Can you tell me where you purchase the raw buffalo bones for you dog? Do they come in different sizes?

Thanks

Russ C

Any place that sells raw dog food - BARF diet stuff. Here in the SE of Calgary I get mine at the Barking Lot or Pet Planet. They come in small, medium and large (knuckle) bones.