Fly Fusion Forums

Lens Color

I've always found much better definition using brown or amber lenses for my polarized sunglasses.

I actually prefer the way grey doesn't "artificially" exaggerate colours, so my non-fishing sunglasses all have grey lenses. But when it comes to picking out structure and fish, it is much easier with the brown.

I am with brownsbask except I prefer to wear mine all the time, especially in traffic when the snow is melting on the edge of the deerfoot. It is absolutely amazing how they take the glare away!!!

Canadensis: Spend some more time on the bow and you too will be rewarded... these are not fish tales. The Bow is world renowned for a reason. (I did appreciate the humor though!)

I am with brownsbask except I prefer to wear mine all the time, especially in traffic when the snow is melting on the edge of the deerfoot. It is absolutely amazing how they take the glare away!!!

Canadensis: Spend some more time on the bow and you too will be rewarded... these are not fish tales. The Bow is world renowned for a reason. (I did appreciate the humor though!)

If you can't afford to get two sets (eeee prescription glasses = flat bank account) I'd probaly focus on what your going to use them for the most. If you can wear contacts I would probaly go that route. Because then you can look at frames like monster dogs, gas cans, straight jackets.... With these frames you can switch out the len's with ease, plus you can buy the lenses for 60 to 70 bucks!!

I am about to order a few pairs from this site - you have to wonder about glasses from a site like this but a few guys I know around town have a few pair and so far can't tell any diff from the $600 glasses bought in the city

Cheap gasses

Those are cheap. Which one did you go for?

I haven't ordered yet - have to get into the optomitrist (sp. %^$$^% eye doctor) to get measurements required to order glasses. will decide after I get all that done as some styles may not work depending on matching the fitting criteria

I will post a review once I have some here in my hands

Rob

From Wiki: (am not vouching for authenticity) I think here, amber would classify as yellow/orange

The color of the lens can vary depending on style, fashion, and purpose, but for general use, red, grey, yellow, or brown are recommended to avoid or minimize color distortion, which could affect safety when, for instance, driving a car or a school bus.

* Gray and green lenses are considered neutral because they maintain true colors.

* Brown lenses cause some color distortion, but also increase contrast.

* Turquoise lenses are good for medium and high light conditions because they are good at enhancing contrast, but do not cause significant color distortion.

* Orange and yellow lenses increase both contrast and depth perception. They also increase color distortion. Yellow lenses are used by pilots, boaters, fishers, shooters, and hunters for their contrast enhancement and width perception properties

* Blue or purple lenses are mainly cosmetic.

I got a pair of prescription polarized Oakley Gascan with brown lens - good protection all around, little distortion, decently priced at $400 all in. Ask the doctor to have Oakley send you the original lens too and you've got a non-prescription pair for when your Rx changes.

key to note is that they only fit up to -3, so hopefully all isn't too fuzzy in your world without glasses!

My eyes aren't bad at all. Good at distances, close up is getting worse. So I don't really need glasses but since my insurance is gonna dish out 300 bones a year for me to get glasses, might as well get a good pair of sunglasses. I'm a tech and work outside a lot of the time so I wear sunglasses most of the time. Bonus is they'll be a good pair of fishing specs. Thanks for all your input guys

I am about to order a few pairs from this site - you have to wonder about glasses from a site like this but a few guys I know around town have a few pair and so far can't tell any diff from the $600 glasses bought in the city

Cheap gasses

All Zenni optical glasses are there own designs ( no brand name frames or lenses)... Personally I have never had any of them, but a friend has and them and they fell apart within about 9 months.

anyhow... I recently just bought my second pair of Bolle sunglasses and I would reccomend them and seriously check them out.. They offer RX in almost all the styles they carry, and the RX lenses are made by Carl Zeiss. Different models have different lens options, but generally you can get 5-10 different lens options (colors, polarization, anti reflective coating etc) for what suits you and the use best. They even have modulator or transitions lenses you can get for your sunglasses.

I bought mine from ( Optics Planet ) I went with a Jwalker frame with a green colored polarized (bolle calls it axis) lens with the anti reflective coating and they Cost me about $310 including shipping.. Which is pretty good considering locally they wanted about 550-600 for the exact same thing.

All I did was go try on bolle sunglasses here in town to find what ones you like and fit you well, then I ordered those ones from there.

I purchase a pair of Wiley x glasses from wiley. The jake Model. A Optic store in Calgary wanted $484, Wiley cost me $319 everything included. The company seemed really great to work with. BPS sells them. Their phamplet was all on fishing so they had me at first bite. Thanks for all your replies.