Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat Anchors

daxlarsen

So I had a few of these custom made anchors, what do you figure they would be worth on the open market? I dunno what something like this would cost as I whipped up a quick sketch and sent them to a friend who made them for me at no cost on his lunch break. I'm wondering if there is a market for these babys, and if the right price comes up maybe I can have a few more made to sell if anyone is interested. It's hollow pipe which I plan on filling with concrete. Dimentions are 4" pipe 6" long and the cross bars are 10" long.

post-3207-1270659991.jpg

it's just stell so they'll rust, but I'm thinking of taking a grinder to it and get all the impurities off, then spray it with some sort of enamel rust inhibitor. It weighs 8lbs without concrete, and I'll have to weigh it again this weekend after I put concrete in it.

also it might be worth mentioning, it's not as if they'll be sitting under salt water for extended periods of time, so rusting won't likely be a big issue with these, they're pretty solid and made with thick metal. with 1/4" fillet welds

I'm wondering if after you fill with concrete if you can get them rubber coated (not sure what that would cost) b/c I'm pretty sure rust will be an issue (not with disintegrating them, but the likely mess they would make in the back of the vehicle)...

Either way, nice job! I'd take one off your hands (I'd evaluate it for you ;))!!

P

it's just stell so they'll rust, but I'm thinking of taking a grinder to it and get all the impurities off, then spray it with some sort of enamel rust inhibitor. It weighs 8lbs without concrete, and I'll have to weigh it again this weekend after I put concrete in it.

also it might be worth mentioning, it's not as if they'll be sitting under salt water for extended periods of time, so rusting won't likely be a big issue with these, they're pretty solid and made with thick metal. with 1/4" fillet welds

8lbs is good for stillwater, plus it's easier to lug around. Might need more for the wind but I'd try them first before filling them. A bit of chain might be all the extra weight you need..

Are you planning on anchoring in moving water (not really recommended). With the wrong watercraft that is asking for trouble.

On the otherhand a chain anchor can be used as a sort-of-drift anchor, but I know some of the guides on the Missouri are discouraging them because they really disturb the bottom plus if you get caught up you could be in trouble.

What you really need to manufacture and what I haven't seen are the individual pulley systems for anchors. Drift boats and some pontoons come equipped with them but I have a 12ft aluminum boat that I would love to be able to put a mount on the front and/or back that I can raise/drop the anchor from the middle rowing seat. I can buy an anchor anywhere but I have never seen an easy to use, quick to install, pulley system sold separately.

my 0.02.

Cheers.

What you really need to manufacture and what I haven't seen are the individual pulley systems for anchors. Drift boats and some pontoons come equipped with them but I have a 12ft aluminum boat that I would love to be able to put a mount on the front and/or back that I can raise/drop the anchor from the middle rowing seat. I can buy an anchor anywhere but I have never seen an easy to use, quick to install, pulley system sold separately.

my 0.02.

Cheers.

Have you tried Scotty anchor locks?

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipme...anchor-lock.htm

my 0.02.

Cheers.

How about going to MEC and just buying the exact Petzl pulley that Hyde sells for half the price, it's standard climbing equipment

I have built all kinds of anchors,heres a good one to try and copy 12lb will do what you want.Stay away from pointy things pontoons don't like them. Also having a large lighter anchor will hold just as well as a small heavy anchor as the current helps push the anchor down.

721075338.jpg

As far as coating goes i wouldn't worry about it anything you put on will be worn off the first time you use it.Mines all steel and has very little rust on it.I shine it up every time i use it.

If your going to use 12 lbs or better you better have a good pulley system.Also use bigger rope its easier on the hands.

Its always good to have knife with you and don't put a knot in the end of the rope if you get into trouble you can just let the rope go out.

12 lbs is about all you want to haul up on a rope, over a pulley, while sitting in a pontoon. That is sufficient to hold a 10' pontoon in a good flow, if you use lots of anchor line.

As for the pipe with welded crosses type of anchor, it should work well in mud/sand bottom, but rocky bottoms may be a severe trial for it. Lots of fingers or flanges to get caught up and severely snagged between rocks. Even pyramids get snagged up sometimes, but there is a reason they are almost universally used on drifting boats and 'toons. I also have a personal aversion to cornered flanges like that being around my pontoon.

j