Fly Fusion Forums

Hackle Colors

Wanny

This is the first year I am tying all my dries. I have a half brown/grizzly cape which has been used for for EHC, stimmies, gnats. This cape has been great but i am now looking to tie some BWO, PMD, Green Drakes and I'm wondering if I'm looking to deep into hackle colors and I could get away with using this cape for most of these?

It seems like Blue Dun is a very versatile color. Should this be next on my list?

I'm wondering if I'm looking to deep into hackle colors and I could get away with using this cape for most of these?

My experience has been that the colour of hackle doesn't make that much of a difference (especially for drys). Its more about getting the right size/shape (body color being a little more important). But feel free to discover otherwise. I could be totally out to lunch. That's the beauty of rolling your own. You can tie some up both ways and see if there's a difference.

Welcome to the addiction.

My experience has been that the colour of hackle doesn't make that much of a difference (especially for drys). Its more about getting the right size/shape (body color being a little more important). But feel free to discover otherwise. I could be totally out to lunch. That's the beauty of rolling your own. You can tie some up both ways and see if there's a difference.

Welcome to the addiction.

I think I'd tend to agree with you. Last fall during a BWO hatch I threw every fancy BWO pattern I had in my fly box at a pod of risers without any interest from them. Finally tied on a parachute adams and that did the trick. I'd try to imitate profile and size before colour.

• 2 weeks later...
What is this Thorax style you speak of?

I believe what they are talking about is a comparadun pattern. You can use C.D.C. or a Deer hair wing fanned out, also it's placed further back on the shank giving you a longer Thorax.

The traditional thorax style tends to have the hackle wound slightly back from the front of the hook to the third point. The Hackle also is wound slightly farther along the hook shank. The traditional is 5 turns, it tend to be 8. It is also "clipped" flat on the lower part of the fly. Jim McLennan turned me on to that style of fly many years ago.

Hope this helps.

So us guys that are not so good at wrapping hackle and get it all over the hook are tying Thorax style of flies.LOL

Thanks for the info.

Pretty much why I want to start tying them. :lol::lol: Just clip the bottom and you're good to go.

Regards Mike