Fly Fusion Forums

Early Bow Dries

bjbailey

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share their favorite patterns for early season Bow dry flies. I've tied up a few late winter black stones but was wondering what else I should prepare. The late winter black stone pattern is simple: black floss body, poly wing, and short black saddle hackle tied in the front on a #14. Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

size 14 adams worked a couple times so far when nothing else would. There are so many midges out, that a 12,14 griffiths gnat isn't even looking rediculous in all the clusters, in fact, today it (14) did the trick for one 22" brown.

Lornce- I see two styles of thorax bwo out there in the internets. One is a standard hackle trimmed flush, the other looks like it has a snow shoe hare post with a bunch of cdc loose wrapped for hackle. Which one are you using?

I tend to like a standard para pattern in #16-18 for olives and either a Griffith's or hackle stacker midge in #18-22 (one usually works when the other doesn't, for some reason). Never had much luck fishing bigger than they are eating, but I am starting to suspect most people find fish rising in faster water than I usually look. Gotta check out some new water, I think.

Sorry Conner,

I didn't notice your post. I use the standard hackle trimmed flush for most BWO patterns, I like the profile it makes in the water. I also use snow shoe for matching other hatches along with parachutes for other pattern imitations.

Lornce- I see two styles of thorax bwo out there in the internets. One is a standard hackle trimmed flush, the other looks like it has a snow shoe hare post with a bunch of cdc loose wrapped for hackle. Which one are you using?

I tend to like a standard para pattern in #16-18 for olives and either a Griffith's or hackle stacker midge in #18-22 (one usually works when the other doesn't, for some reason). Never had much luck fishing bigger than they are eating, but I am starting to suspect most people find fish rising in faster water than I usually look. Gotta check out some new water, I think.