Fly Fusion Forums

Enough Is Enough

Okay, the good part of the story first, I got out yesterday and the weather was great and the fishing good too...but what is that faint smell??? I couldn't place it for the first while but then I took a wiff of my reel and there it was CAT PEE!!!

I HATE the smell of cat pee. Especially on fly gear. Don't get me wrong I like cats, :boomboom: but why does their pee have to be so repulsive? The cat got my rod case and reel complete with a barely broken in rio grande flyline. I have soaked and scrubbed it but cannot relieve it of the odor.

The worst part of it is that the cat has already had forgiveness for doing this once before. That time it targeted my fishing duffel bag and unleashed the vast majority of it's venom on a full (200 +) box of dry flies. I know, sacrelig right...

Anyhow, lesson learned, cats are cheap, fly fishing gear is not.

Get some Nature's Miracle stain and odour remover from Petsmart. It breaks down the urine odor using enzymes. Takes a couple of soakings but it does work.

Regards Mike

PS: Neuter the cat, think of it as your revenge.

Okay, the good part of the story first, I got out yesterday and the weather was great and the fishing good too...but what is that faint smell??? I couldn't place it for the first while but then I took a wiff of my reel and there it was CAT PEE!!!

I HATE the smell of cat pee. Especially on fly gear. Don't get me wrong I like cats, :boomboom: but why does their pee have to be so repulsive? The cat got my rod case and reel complete with a barely broken in rio grande flyline. I have soaked and scrubbed it but cannot relieve it of the odor.

The worst part of it is that the cat has already had forgiveness for doing this once before. That time it targeted my fishing duffel bag and unleashed the vast majority of it's venom on a full (200 +) box of dry flies. I know, sacrelig right...

Anyhow, lesson learned, cats are cheap, fly fishing gear is not.

Our neighbor has an arsinal of many cat's that piss on my BBQ cover, tractor seat, lawn mower seat, boat covers. They fill our flower beds with their ginger fried beef[poop] all year long. I feel your pain, not much I can do but put the run on them any chance I get.

Oh ya should be under a month till the skunks come around !!

Dave

Our neighbor has an arsinal of many cat's that piss on my BBQ cover, tractor seat, lawn mower seat, boat covers. They fill our flower beds with their ginger fried beef[poop] all year long. I feel your pain, not much I can do but put the run on them any chance I get.

Oh ya should be under a month till the skunks come around !!

Dave

Mmm...I like ginger beef...

Guest tallieho

I feel for you on the cat's pissin & crapping all in your yard.They do it in mine to.But i get some satisfaction ,when i clean-up the s--t,i bag it I the save it for christmas eve ,i light it on fire once i've soaked a little diesel fuel on the bag.Then i put it on there doorstep light it ,ring the bell...Christmas

Neutered cats will mark their places, too. It ain't no guarantee. The only cats that will not "mark" are spayed females.

j

I guess nothing is a guarantee, but all our cats over the years stopped marking once we got them neutered. Besides, as the saying goes: 1 cat + 1 cat = 6 cats which a more important reason to neuter.

Regards Mike

Must be something about the way it smells that attracts it to leaving its scent on my gear. (or else my wife is training it...)

And this cat dispels all understanding and wisdom previously posted as it is both female and spayed.

I'm just gonna have to be more diligent about movin' the gear to higher ground as soon as I get back from a trip.

I don't suppose you know that cat urine is lethal to humans..the urine crystallizes and remains permanent on objects..feline's piss is a way to ward off other felines in the area, [as it is for other animals], sending them a message of territory.....so many ppl have cats, yet they are engulfing the crystals of urine from them every day without knowing the end results..

..But for those who insist on having Cats...... http://www.remove-cat-urine.com/cat-urine-...-directory.html ..

If your cat started spraying and he wasn't neutered, neutering him now won't change him. He now knows he can do it and will continue to, bummer I'm a cat person myself and there isn't much in the way of solutions for you now, except dealing with it.

I'm wondering if the hydrogen peroxide is going to affect the fly lines integrity at all. 'Spose it doesn't really matter, it's pretty repulsive to fish as it is right now anyway. Thanks wolfie.

How is it that cat urine is lethal to humans? I know that during all of my wife's pregnancies I was put in charge of the litter box, but didn't think there was any other imminent danger.

I don't suppose you know that cat urine is lethal to humans..the urine crystallizes and remains permanent on objects..feline's piss is a way to ward off other felines in the area, [as it is for other animals], sending them a message of territory.....so many ppl have cats, yet they are engulfing the crystals of urine from them every day without knowing the end results..

..But for those who insist on having Cats...... http://www.remove-cat-urine.com/cat-urine-...-directory.html ..

Be a responsible pet owner and get your cat neutered and it wont go around marking it's territory on your things.

Sorry JMC, guess I've been lucky with the cats I've owned. I Didn't realize some will still mark after being fixed.