Fly Fusion Forums

Recommended Setup

Its been a long time since I was last up in that area but if memory serves me correctly, there are some smaller creeks that you cross over on the way to Red Earth. I have pulled arctic greyling from some of them but believe me you have a long drive to get to these creeks. For the most part, any of the lakes will have northern pike in them as well as walleye and perch. Lesser Slave Lake is a big lake that you would need a boat for. If you brought an 8 weight and a bunch of big streamers you could do OK. As for any of the greyling streams I think you would have to get a decent map and just go exploring.

Murray

one thing to consider with grayling, although not very big, when they turn sideways and flair the dorsal fin in the current, they seem a lot bigger than they actually are.

3, 4 or 5 wt (whatever you have) for the streams. for really small streams with decent sized trout but lots of crap, over hanging trees and steep rock walls with not a lot of casting room, i have a 7ft 9 4wt. i also have an 8ft 3wt and an 8.5ft 3wt.

i use my 9.5ft 5wt for the lakes, which there are quite a few in and around the sundre area

i have an old 8wt for pike. sorry, i havent fished for walleye but i would imagine an 8wt with a sinking line would work

My next trip to Alberta I will either be in the Sundre or Slave lake area maybe both.What type of equipment (rod,lines,flies) would you recommend I bring.

I worked in Slave Lake for two years and found lots of fishing opportinities. I guess it all depends on the time of year. Take highway 88 about 2 km north of town and fish the river just below the campground/weir. Throw anything big and ugly and you should hook into lots of pike and even some walleye. Lesser Slave Lake is very big but very shallow in most spots, if you don't mind wading 500 yards from shore there is deffinetly some fish to be had. Also try Mitsue lake ~15km south of town fish from shore or the dock- way too many pike in this lake, not big but plentyful- it gets boring.

enjoy

I worked in Slave Lake for two years and found lots of fishing opportinities. I guess it all depends on the time of year. Take highway 88 about 2 km north of town and fish the river just below the campground/weir. Throw anything big and ugly and you should hook into lots of pike and even some walleye. Lesser Slave Lake is very big but very shallow in most spots, if you don't mind wading 500 yards from shore there is deffinetly some fish to be had. Also try Mitsue lake ~15km south of town fish from shore or the dock- way too many pike in this lake, not big but plentyful- it gets boring.

enjoy

I think I'll have to bring a couple of different rods with.So many fish and places to fish,so little time