Fly Fusion Forums

Hatch Reels

Any opinions on these reels out there? I have been considering getting a hatch 5+ for the Bow or maybe a 7+ for steelhead. I really like the idea of their disc drag system, but you never know until you used it a few times. I think they are nice looking reels too. I'd be interested in knowing what expereince folks have had.

Thanks for any info. Keith.

Guest JayVee

Nothing but good things to say about mine. I'd replace it in a heartbeat. It handles big fish well, it's virtually maintenance free and it takes up line fast when I need it to. Great reels...I just might buy another one for my 3wt:

010.jpg

Trout3.jpg

Any opinions on these reels out there? I have been considering getting a hatch 5+ for the Bow or maybe a 7+ for steelhead. I really like the idea of their disc drag system, but you never know until you used it a few times. I think they are nice looking reels too. I'd be interested in knowing what expereince folks have had.

Thanks for any info. Keith.

Personally own the 3wt 5wt and 9wt and absoultly love them. A great thing about these reels too are that they are salt ready so if you ever find yourself wanting to fish salt water you will already have the reel for it.

Very durable also, I can count how many times I have dropped mine on cement and not a scar on it, looks just like the way it did the day I bought them.

The great thing with the inclosed drag system is that there is no mataince what so ever on them, all you have to do is take off the spool and whipe just to keep it clean of dirt and grit cause it will make a gross sound when the spool, this happens when you have something grinding against the spool and reel chase.

A Hatch reel on a 3wt is aken to 4 wheel disc brakes on a unicycle.

Great reels, overkill on a trout set up.

my phlueger trion 3/4 has a disc drag and there is nothing overkill about it, it can practically free spool on it's lightest setting, and you'de rip the fly line probably trying to take line on it's heaviest setting.

my phlueger trion 3/4 has a disc drag and there is nothing overkill about it, it can practically free spool on it's lightest setting, and you'de rip the fly line probably trying to take line on it's heaviest setting.

Your Pflueger Trion isn't $500.. ;)

I have a 3 on my 5wt,my goto Bow reel. Nice reel only problem with mine is it freezes up in the below 0 stuff.Tight tolerances i guess.

I also put type 6 sink on it and use it for deep lakes,great trolling reel.

Can you get a 6wt line and plenty of backing on a 3+? That would probably suit my needs for the Bow, as I agree that that 5+ might be a bit overkill for trout.

Can you get a 6wt line and plenty of backing on a 3+? That would probably suit my needs for the Bow, as I agree that that 5+ might be a bit overkill for trout.

I have a 5wt WF and 50yds of gel spun backing and its full.I think your pushing it on a 6wt.

I use a 5wt and have a 7wt Guideline bullet (head and shooting line intragrated) with 40 feet of mono and it fills it up perfect. Also I have been using the 5wt for the past year and it is not overkill in my opion.

The 3 seems a tad bit heavy IMO at 5 oz. For that price I'd think they'd lighten it up some... I guess it's personal preference as well, whatever balances the (your) rod...

P

Wow! That is overly heavy for a 3 weight reel.

The 3 seems a tad bit heavy IMO at 5 oz. For that price I'd think they'd lighten it up some... I guess it's personal preference as well, whatever balances the (your) rod...

P

You gotta remeber these reels are not made for Fresh water fish these are machined SALT WATER reels. And I do not find my 3wt reel heavy at all on my 3wt rod.

Brad... Not totally sure of this, but who would use a 3 wt rod for salt water fly fishing?! I'm sure people do... But seems a little light...

I totally get it, this reel is bomber!! Nonetheless, there are numerous (high quality and similarly priced) reels on the market that are (also) made for salt water use that are WAYYYYYY lighter for line weights heavier then 5 wt/6 wt. As I mentioned before everyone has their own preference. My comment was that it seemed a little heavy, that's all...

Cheers,

P

You gotta remeber these reels are not made for Fresh water fish these are machined SALT WATER reels. And I do not find my 3wt reel heavy at all on my 3wt rod.

3wt Saltwater reel. Now that is some funny stuff there!

I also have to comment on the whole rod/reel balance. How do you figure this out? with 1/2 the line out? How do you know when purchasing a reel? Never have understood this comment?

So many things that get discussed have zero real world relevance. Rod/reel balance and disc drags on 3wt's come to mind.

3wt Saltwater reel. Now that is some funny stuff there!

So many things that get discussed have zero real world relevance. Rod/reel balance and disc drags on 3wt's come to mind.

Im sure somebody uses a 3wt for salt water situations... all big fish gotta start out small right. I can't think of a disadvantage of having a sealed drag in reels even if they are only used in freshwater.

You seem to right into the discussion dude, I agree that a disc drag is probably not needed on a three weight, but why not have it anyways?

"If you’re looking for the perfect trout reel than you just found it. The 3 Plus is capable of running 3 through 5 weight lines with ample backing capacity for the occasional whopper that might come along. At first glance you’ll notice this aint no dainty trout reel. This little wonder means business."

http://www.hatchoutdoors.com/reels1/3-plus

facepalm.gif

Forget about the emoticons and explain it then...

Folks often comment on how their rod "balances" yet the last time I cast a fly rod all the line was not in the reel. I do not hold it by one finger at the front of the cork where this balance point is supposed to be either.

Folks often comment on how their rod "balances" yet the last time I cast a fly rod all the line was not in the reel. I do not hold it by one finger at the front of the cork where this balance point is supposed to be either.

How do ya do it then? Fill all of us in, mighty wise one.