Fly Fusion Forums

Dubbing Brushes

misterbig

I had problems on the first few I spun with ultra size small. If your doing them by hand releive the tension on the wire as you spin, the twisting of wire causes the length to shorten and will break if tension is not relieved.

If you're doing them with some fancy tool, maybe someone else will chime in.

I use mostly .006 dia wire. How are you spinning them? It may be a technique issue.

I am using my norvise. I but a large hook in the vice, wire in the eye of hook. Little spin, place materials, pick up in fingertips, spin gets half way and snaps. I have tried spining slowly and moderate speed.

I use a Nor as well plus a small spinning block that is used to make them when portability is more desireable, eg outside on the deck or while watching tv. With the Nor holding the wire as parallel as possible to the base I found makes a difference and I use a moderate speed, alsoas the twisting occurs slowly feed the wires toward the hook, this helps reduce the tension on the wire

I use a Nor as well plus a small spinning block that is used to make them when portability is more desireable, eg outside on the deck or while watching tv. With the Nor holding the wire as parallel as possible to the base I found makes a difference and I use a moderate speed, alsoas the twisting occurs slowly feed the wires toward the hook, this helps reduce the tension on the wire

You stated in the previous reply that you use .006 dia wire (I assume inches). I looked that up on the web and it is 38 ga. Do you use ultra wire or other brand,

Not sure what the brand is; I used to get it from Russel's when it was still around (came on a black spool with no label other than the item number used by the store. I have also used some 32 ga with good results as well