Fly Fusion Forums

3wt Question

So I bought the 7'6" TFO professional series rod, I need line for it, I could get 3wt for it, but the main purpose for the rod will be to fish the tiny tiny mountain streams for 4"-12" cutties. So most of my casts will be less than 20' probably. there likely won't be to much nymphing goin on, and I'm wondering if I get 2 wt line will that make for nicer dry fly presentations for short casts, or should I just get 3wt?

Also, what's a good fly line to get for the $30-50 range, that would suit this rod well.

if you want too make short casts and not use the full 30+ foot head for most of your casting you will want too overline your rod with a 4wt or buy a more aggresive front taper were most of your flylines weight is in the front half of the weightforward(shooting) head

Yup, go the other way like Max is suggesting. In order to get your rod to load at close range, you will need a heavier line. Look at a 4 wt.

I do the exact same thing on my 2 wt. At close distances and small streams, I use a GPX 3 wt DT. Cut the line in half and you have two lines.

The other option of going with an aggressive front taper is not as good as an option as I listed above. Taking a line like an Outbound 3wt would get your rod to load up quicker, but the presentation would suffer. There's such a short front taper that it wouldn't present the small flies as nice.