Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Suggestions

I am looking for the perfect small creek rod. I am looking for 2wt or smaller 8' or shorter something for that perfect day no wind small dries 6"-10" cutties 15-30 foot casts I am not looking at glass or bambo just mid to highend graphite. Has anyone fished any of the 0wt or less rods?

Wayne

I am looking for the perfect small creek rod. I am looking for 2wt or smaller 8' or shorter something for that perfect day no wind small dries 6"-10" cutties 15-30 foot casts I am not looking at glass or bambo just mid to highend graphite. Has anyone fished any of the 0wt or less rods?

Wayne

You just described the Sage 000-TXL. I use mine on small creeks for trout up to 12 inches, but hooked up with a 17 inch fish one time which the rod handled very well. I prefer to fish the rod with a 0-wt or 1-wt line because it softens the action of the rod and for me it just feels better.

I have fished the Sage TXL series in the 00 - 0 - and 2 wt. I currently own the 2. If you would like to demo the 2 let me know and we can work something out. I am a big fan of the 0s but with any slight breeze you are f'd. That's why I went to the 2wt myself. I have found that the 2 is more then adequate for throwing a 2 fly nymph rig or drys. The rod has enough backbone to toss some smaller unweigted streamers for juvy bulls, but many around here may frown on that.

I think with a 2 vs the oughts you have a lot more versatility. If you pick up a Sage TXL in the 1wt or up DON'T OVER LINE IT, the rod casts perfectly with the correctly mated WF. I found that depending on your casting you may need to overline if you are playing with DT line, but the rod is a very relaxed mid-fast action so there is really no need to slow it down with an up line.

If you have any questions on the TXLs or other Sages PM me and we'll talk.