Fly Fusion Forums

No More Grizzlies

Ok, now that we've had a bit of video game fun, let's get going on the real issue. Should there be a hunting season for grizzlies? As much as I would dislike meeting up with one while out fishing, my position is no. I know it is hypocritical of me, given my harassment of fish, but I can't get my head around the concept of hunting animals as trophies rather than for food. Terry

Ok, now that we've had a bit of video game fun, let's get going on the real issue. Should there be a hunting season for grizzlies? As much as I would dislike meeting up with one while out fishing, my position is no. I know it is hypocritical of me, given my harassment of fish, but I can't get my head around the concept of hunting animals as trophies rather than for food. Terry

+1

Regards Mike

I know it is hypocritical of me, given my harassment of fish, but I can't get my head around the concept of hunting animals as trophies rather than for food. Terry

You are a hypocrite. The same groups that want to stop bear hunting want to stop all hunting and fishing is not far behind. The cuddly bears just gets the emotional swing votes for these groups..

Anglers should be very cautious with what they wish for and who they side with.

Would it be OK to live trap and tranquilize a bear, screw with him for a bit, hold his head under the water for a minute or two as you pose for a few hero shots then hope he recovers from his anesthesia and water dunking then send him on his way?

Your opinion proves that people choose to live by their own justifiable double standard because of their emotional response, not facts.

I also would never want to kill a Grizzly, but if the data is there to support a limited hunt who am I to say it is wrong just because of my feelings? I kill fish and also let èm go, eat meat, wear leather, drive a car, etc, etc, etc.. I feel this is all OK, again feelings. Fact would prove otherwise.

Given the background scenery is Lake Louise I am surprised Trains, Trucks and Autos are not among the weapon choices. (or at least bags of grain)

(Should also be able to throw Park Planners and Zip Lines too, for PGK's benefit) insert pokey thing....

PS - Banff is getting a Timmies (I believe at the brewster depot I hear)

Given the background scenery is Lake Louise I am surprised Trains, Trucks and Autos are not among the weapon choices. (or at least bags of grain)

(Should also be able to throw Park Planners and Zip Lines too, for PGK's benefit) insert pokey thing....

PS - Banff is getting a Timmies (I believe at the brewster depot I hear)

Do any of the gift shops in the park sell grizzly fur slippers?, what a waste if they don`t. They could use the fur from the bears that the trains run over eating spilled grain along the tracks in the park. Not to mention the bear road kill in the park. I guess the road bear harvest in the park is justifiable as without it all the hotels, gift shops and restaurants would go broke without it.

Would it be OK to live trap and tranquilize a bear, screw with him for a bit, pose for a few hero shots then hope he recovers from his anesthesia and send him on his way?

Ahhh ever seen how a bear gets tagged and collared.......

PS I hunt but I don't see value or justifiable purpose in hunting grizzlies, that said I also don't see much of difference between our activity and theirs in terms of potential impact - ultimately those more cpable than me should be deciding how to best manage such populations (IMHO)

Ahhh ever seen how a bear gets tagged and collared.......

PS I hunt but I don't see value or justifiable purpose in hunting grizzlies, that said I also don't see much of difference between our activity and theirs in terms of potential impact - ultimately those more cpable than me should be deciding how to best manage such populations (IMHO)

Well said!

Also, you bet there is a measureable mortality rate from tagging and collaring bears, something the scientific community studying bears does not like to talk about. Especially when there is DNA collection methods that have 0% mortality and are more accurate to establish baseline population data. Wonder why they discount these methods? Feelings getting in the way of solid factual data?

You are a hypocrite. The same groups that want to stop bear hunting want to stop all hunting and fishing is not far behind. The cuddly bears just gets the emotional swing votes for these groups..

Anglers should be very cautious with what they wish for and who they side with.

You should get a job with ESPN.

Regard Mike

I owned with the chainsaw.

I don't think it's HUNTING per se, that is the largest threat to grizzlies today. Stop quads from ripping up the backcountry, put an end to random camping, keep people from overtaking the entire wilderness every summer, and then maybe you have a shot at protecting grizzlies. Until then, your going to have bear vs human issues where the bear eventually gets shot, due to a reaction to human's that is probably justified (get the hell out of MY territory)

This is crap - what no guns - I wanta gun - you can't kill grizzlies fast enough with Honda - you need a gun.

I'm disgusted.

I wanta gun,

Hunters have guns - why aren't hunters killing these Grizzly things.

And to keep things on the straight and narrow - Grizzlies are the top of the food chain. They keep the ever increasing hoards of waffle stompers, latte suckers, Goretex clad "wilderness" wanderers under control..

Don

I used to work for one of the major organizations who is against the grizzly bear hunt (www.y2y.net), and I can guarantee you that they are NOT of the frame of mind of anti-hunting or anti-fishing. In fact, they have a hunting and fishing policy. The Executive Director is probably the best angler I know and is author of the book, Fishing for Buffalo. He also is a reputable hunter.

The key here is sustainable. IF the population is sustainable, yes, hunting/fishing is okay. If the population is NOT sustainable (and leave it to the experts to define this term, not joe public), then the proper management options should be put in place to protect it for future use/generations. Look at Ontario's Aurora Trout. They have made a great comeback, due to great management practices, and now anglers can enjoy. Same with AB grizzlies. All experts (except those affiliated with hunting lobbyists) agree that 1,000 is the key number for a healthy population--and keep in mind that grizzlies roam long distances, so you can't distinguish "local" populations that are okay to hunt in this situation. Anyhow, with the new numbers put out recently, we are well below that. With proper management, suspension of hunt, pro-active multi-use planning initiatives for the landscape, transportation mitigation efforts, etc., the population can bounce back and the hunt can resume. While I don't hunt and would never hunt, I think individuals have the right to do so, if the population can sustain it.

If there were an unsustainable number of trout in the Bow River would you allow a harvest?