Fly Fusion Forums

Battery For Pontoon Boat

Hi guys,

I have an electric motor for my pontoon boat, I also have the motor mount and everything else set up. What have people been using for a battery. Most deep cycle batteries weigh between 40 and 65 pounds. My pontoon has a weight limit of 300lbs, so with me weighing 215lbs that only leaves 85 pounds for motor, gear, battery, oars etc. I was thinking about smaller atv batteries but don't think they will have enough amp/hr rating to last very long plus they are a starting battery, not really designed to be cycled dead alot.

Anybody have any recommendations or setups they have used in the past?

Thanks

Lance

You could always try one of those lightweight coiled batteries, but they are very expensive. That's an awful load on a small toon boat, you may be asking for real trouble. 300 is the max capacity, not the "working load". My gut feeling is: Start over and think bigger 'toon.

j

Take a small tire tube maybe 12" put it inside a duffel bag tie it up under your back rack.Fill it up with air 3-5 psi you can now put a group 31 battery on it The bag will also act as a rutter and help you steer straight.

Don't laugh it works.

I'm at max weight limit in my toon (9' disco) when the batt is in - been caught in wind that resulted in 3-4 foot waves on Minnawanka and had no troubles getting back in safely - I do make the effort to adjust the boat set-up by way of shifting the frame 6 inches forward on the toons to ensure it is still centre balanced though ( I run mine through while water for fun a few times each summer so balance is important). I also set up with an open top batt box and fastec buckles so in a worse case, life or death, scenario I could dump the batt and motor if I had to.

All that said I didn't use the motor or batt last year as I don't really troll and to be honest rowing is just as quick and well., should help me get under that max weight anyway ha ha ha. When I get around to it I'm going to post my motor for sale here.

Thanks guys,

It turns out I underestimated my boats carrying capacity, it is 350lbs, so that helps a little. I am probably going to use a small spiral cell/sealed batttery(can get them through work for cheaper) and should be under 300lbs total.

I think that will work out ok.

Just keep in mind that "maximum load" and the "safe working load" on any pontoon is about 50-75 lbs apart. There are lots of examples of guys at max load all the time and "for no reason" there is a catastrophic failure of the frame.

j

I have an Outcast 10 IR and I have a 40 lb thrust prowler motor fromBPS and all I use is a Motomaster Eliminator car battery, now this will last all day long and plenty of power. I also put the motor and batt in 12 ft aluminum boats that we can sign out on Lake Bonavista and I will be back and forth and round and round on that lake a hundred times and not a prob.

I tried this setup cause some of the deep cycle marine batts can get pretty stupid in price. Give it a try works for me. Good luck.