Fly Fusion Forums

2 Fly's

EdB

if was going to tie on 2 flies was is the norm for doing this? Do you tie it from the eye of the upper hook or from the hook itself? Also if it is from the hook, what is the best knot to use for that?

if was going to tie on 2 flies was is the norm for doing this? Do you tie it from the eye of the upper hook or from the hook itself? Also if it is from the hook, what is the best knot to use for that?

Are you talking about 2 wet flies, or 2 dries, or 1 and 1?

If it's 2 wet flies and your nymphing.. what I do is tie the first fly on with a surgeon's loop - it will leave a small loop/tag end that causes the top fly to "stick out to the side" from the tippet - giving it more action in the water.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgloop.htm

12" - 16" under that I will tie the bottom fly on either with another surgeon's loop or a regular clinch knot. Typically I've been doing a second surgeon's loop because for some reason my clinch knots are always slipping and it's very frustrating to lose fish over and over again because of a bad knot.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/clinch.htm

I've never tied 2 dries on so someone else can answer that for you.

With a "hopper/dropper" combo you can do something similar. I think the recommended setup is to tie the large hopper on with a clinch knot, and then the dropper fly to the bend of the hook of the top fly with another clinch knot.

Easiest way is to just tie an improved clinch off the bend of the top nymph and tie the fly onto that.

You can also tie a second tippet into the eye of the top fly, but that tends to twist and tangle a little more (esp if the top nymph is a sannie).

my clinch knots are always slipping and it's very frustrating to lose fish over and over again because of a bad knot.

This might help. After passing the tag end through for the last time, pull on it just a bit, then let go and don't touch it again. Lick the whole knot right down to the hook and pull on the standing end until its clinched real tight. Coax it with your fingers if its not sliding down easily. You don't want to force this part as the friction created will weaken it.

Only then do you pull hard on the tag end. Do that as your final step (of course, you then tug on the standing end to give it a bit of a test).

I've found that when I tie it like that, I never break off at the knot.

This might help. After passing the tag end through for the last time, pull on it just a bit, then let go and don't touch it again. Lick the whole knot right down to the hook and pull on the standing end until its clinched real tight. Coax it with your fingers if its not sliding down easily. You don't want to force this part as the friction created will weaken it.

Only then do you pull hard on the tag end. Do that as your final step (of course, you then tug on the standing end to give it a bit of a test).

I've found that when I tie it like that, I never break off at the knot.

I'll give that a try. I think I always try and pull both ends at the same time.

For two wets, I always tie the fist on as normal (improved cinch knot) but leave a tag end that is 12-16'' in length. To this tag end, I tie the second fly. It's tough to tie on the first one with such a long tag, but I've found that if you just hook the fly to something (ie. leg, eye of a guide, etc) it's easier to tie if it's anchored somewhere.

I like how the first fly sits more perpendicular out from the line on this set up. I feel I get more hook ups than if I tie the tippet straight to the bend of the fly.

For two wets, I always tie the fist on as normal (improved cinch knot) but leave a tag end that is 12-16'' in length. To this tag end, I tie the second fly. It's tough to tie on the first one with such a long tag, but I've found that if you just hook the fly to something (ie. leg, eye of a guide, etc) it's easier to tie if it's anchored somewhere.

I like how the first fly sits more perpendicular out from the line on this set up. I feel I get more hook ups than if I tie the tippet straight to the bend of the fly.

Wow! You must be one tough MF, Bloom. You hook the fly to your leg to anchor it? Must have been a real pain before

Alberta went barbless! :blink:

Wow! You must be one tough MF, Bloom. You hook the fly to your leg to anchor it? Must have been a real pain before

Alberta went barbless! :blink:

Not to mention the fortune you must spend on new waders. But more to the point why bother with 2 when you are allowed to fish 3.

Nah, I'm actually a wimp...I scream like a little girl every time. My 6 year old usually tells me to calm down.

This actually proves that you're real tough. Anyone could stick a hook in their leg if it didn't hurt; it takes a real

hero to do it, knowing it's gonna hurt like Hell! (Or a psycho sumbitch....) :blink:

Back to the topic: When fishing wets, if your first fly has a big enough eye to pass your tippet through doubled, you can

tie a Palomar knot & leave a long tag end to attach your next fly. Very easy to leave a long tag end with a Palomar.