Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Z Axis Questions

wayne

Mr. Canadensis , I get that we all have our favorite. There is nothing wrong with pitching your preference, but trying to strengthen your opinion by discrediting other brands, (Especially Sage) makes you sound like the fool.

No discredit to Sage rods. Some of the blanks on a $400 dollar rod are the same as on an $800 bucker; with a different hue. Perception is reality I guess?

I was giving them credit when I complimented their marketing division.

It is odd however that you do not get top line guides and seat on the Sage rods when you drop near $1k ?

Cheese Chucker..

I'd keep your current string of rods and skip the sage, although I am sure many of these experts on here will tell you the reason to blow $800 on a rod.. It is all percieved value on anything above the price of a TFO.

Edit: I casted a Orvis hydros and no doubt that this is the best rod for the dough, for my cast anyways. Save a few hundy from the sage and go hydros.

Curious??? Did you even cast the rod in question? The Sage that is.

Curious??? Did you even cast the rod in question? The Sage that is.

Wow you guys sure know how to hijack a thread!

The bloke that wants to buy the sage said he has not cast it and cannot where he is considering the purchase.

Why does it matter if I have cast the sage, I am not buying one!!

No discredit to Sage rods. Some of the blanks on a $400 dollar rod are the same as on an $800 bucker; with a different hue. Perception is reality I guess?

I was giving them credit when I complimented their marketing division.

It is odd however that you do not get top line guides and seat on the Sage rods when you drop near $1k ?

Cheese Chucker..

gotta be one of the best things uve said in all of your posts dude!!!!!! tons of good rods out there for that price.. what i tell anyone who wants too spend on high end gear or any gear for that matter is... i would test drive a ton of stuff from a bunch of top companies not just one and see what works best for me!!!!!!! and compae the components aswell!!!!!! i know wayne lives in lethbridge b ut if i have the chance i would bomb too calgary before i bought anything and hit up a few flyshops!

Here is how I see things.

If you like a rod then you like the rod regardless to who the manufacture of the rod is, if that is what you want then don;t let anyone tell you diffrent.

For the first 4 years that I started fly fishing all I could afford was a TFO and truth be told I loved the rod (still have it and I highly doubt I will EVER get ride of it) then I had a chance to try a couple of diffrent manufactures and finally found a rod that had the same type of action as my TFO the biggest diffrent was the weight of the rod and it had better components. So since then I have switched over to that manufacture and have never looked back at TFO.

Like a couple of people have said before go try out a couple of rods and see WHAT YOU LIKE and not what the HYPE is, hence why when people are close to me I never have a problem trying out my rods to see if it is something that they would enjoy instead of spending the money for something they just might not like.

Wow you guys sure know how to hijack a thread!

The bloke that wants to buy the sage said he has not cast it and cannot where he is considering the purchase.

Why does it matter if I have cast the sage, I am not buying one!!

It seems to matter as you are judging something without valid reason. ( unless you did cast the rod in question) I thought that was my question??????????

Here's a line from the above link:

Now we’re getting down to the finalists, and for all practical purposes, you can just flip a coin to pick the winner. The Sage Z-Axis and the StreamDance GLX are distinctly different feeling rods, but performed nearly identically in all our performance tests.

I test drove both at Fishtales and chose the G Loomis Streamdance GLX . "Test driving" is key!!

Wayne you may want to try the 6100-4 as well when you look at another stick.

I would like to thank everyone for all the great advice. I picked up a z axis 490-4 for a great price and a Ross evolution reel. When I sell my other rods I will pickup either a z axis 690-4 or 696-4