Fly Fusion Forums

Knotty Question

FlYiNGuY

Greetings To All!,

I'm a newbie to this fly fishing fun for just over a year now, Some success, but mostly not very much of it.

I have been a member here for a few months now and have been reading non stop. and it seems every question I come up with its been covered here somewhere in full detail. (Hence why I've been a quiet learner in the corner without any posts.)

Anyways, Its time to start posting and join in on this fun!, I am just wondering what knots everyone is using out there?, I'm sure this has been covered in a few posts before, but I'm wondering about tying up a nymph rig. What knots should I be using throughout the rig?

Thanks to everyone on this board, you have made alot of days fishing a little easier for this beginner!, Just need to start getting into a few more fish! My record is HORRIBLE! and I will be the first to admit to have a case of the Bow River Blues!

Welcome FlYiNGuY,

This link has been posted before and is a great resource.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing....imatedknots.com

I primarily use the "Duncan Loop" pretty much exclusively as it is very easy to tie and can be tied it with very cold hands, etc. The Duncan Loop is probably best used to tie streamers to tippet as it allows the streamer to ungulate better in the water (from what I've read and been told). Clinch knot is usually used for small (18 or smaller) nymphs and dries and the improved clinch for larger nymphs and dries (hooks are suspended on the rig more naturally - from what I've read/heard). There are many other knots but these are the ones that I use and have never had issues with - so why change.

Just remember if you use both mono and fluro together the type of knot does matter as the materials are incompatible (fluro is slicker and much stronger, I think), and a specific knot must be used. Since I don't use fluro I can't remember which one it is - so someone else can comment! ;)

Peter

Great link Uberfly.

I have used the improved clinch knot for years to tie the terminal tackle on. Lately I have been using the palomar knot for streamers as this knot is unbelievably strong. Try it and see, you'll break somewhere other than knot failure.

All the other knots I use are typical to the link posted.

Fish tales tied my backing to my flyline with a cool loop to loop connection. Don't know how but it looks very strong. Anybody know the name for that type of knot?

If you have gelspun backing they most likely used a "Bimmini Twist" (sp?) and then looped through that (that is what Mark at Country Pleasures used on mine as I've never had a line with a loop at the backing end before so I inquired)... Bimmini Twist needs A LOT of practice to be come proficient at!! I've never attempted it and most likely never will! ;)

P

Great link Uberfly.

I have used the improved clinch knot for years to tie the terminal tackle on. Lately I have been using the palomar knot for streamers as this knot is unbelievably strong. Try it and see, you'll break somewhere other than knot failure.

All the other knots I use are typical to the link posted.

Fish tales tied my backing to my flyline with a cool loop to loop connection. Don't know how but it looks very strong. Anybody know the name for that type of knot?

Thanks for all the quick reply's!, and that link posted was great!, Thanks Uberfly!,

Also what knot is everyone using to tie your tippet to tippet?, I've only ever fished the single nymph and with very limited success!, So say I have a San Juan on the bottom, and then 18-20" up I'm going to tie off another bit of tippet, to tie on another nymph. What knot is used to tie that tippet to your main tippet?.. ( I think I'm making this confusing, I apologize) and also how long should that tippet coming off my main tippet be?.

If anyone understands what I'm asking I will be thoroughly impressed.

Thanks again!!

To attach leader to tippet use a double surgeon's knot. Attach the tippet to your top fly. Take another length of tippet - 12 inches or so - and tie it to the bend of the hook with a clinch knot. Attach your next fly to the other end of the tippet. Repeat for your third fly. Another option is to attach the second length of tippet to the eye of the hook on your top fly instead of the bend of the hook. Some people use this, but I prefer attaching the tippet to the bend.

Take a look at these articles:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/nymphing_primer.php

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniq...ing_double.aspx

Probably the perfection loop

Wouldn't know then, I usually just nail knot a length of 25-30lb Maxima on each end of the flyline where required, throw a perfection loop as close as possible, trim the tags, coat the knots with zapagap and I'm pretty much good to go.

I've always been a minimalist when it comes to knots. I've probably tried most, if not all, of the knots listed above at one time or another, but always go back to:

Some type of loop to loop for fly line to leader

Double surgeon leader to tippet

Clinch to most any fly except sometimes (though rarely) a loop knot to a streamer.

I know there are stronger knots out there, but really I can never be bothered with them for very long.

• 1 month later...