Fly Fusion Forums

Whitefish

I would say you are catching whites cause you are not fishing either with the right technique or location for rainbows.

Without juvenile whites...you don't grow trout as big.

Don't disparage the poor white...at the rate our fisheries seem to go...whites will be the next species on the endangered list.

Nobody really knows how far below historical levels they are...

IMHO

u got it dude.. pelicans seem too have them nailed down in regards too catching them... have seen it done many nights... im sure there are other problems too but its amazing too watch on te bow.... drives me nuts personally.. wish we could take the pelicans down legally..... i hardly see whites compared too my youth... useto be easy too get dozens of them.. now only certain time of year when they are stacked up can u get a decent number of them....

kill pelicans to save the rockies eh? Sounds a bit reactionary to me. Pelicans are a protected species, so "taking down" pelicans would be a terrible idea! Just because it seems as though there are more than ever on the bow doesn't mean that they are doing well everywhere. Kind of reminds me of culling wolves to save caribou except caribou are threatened, rockies are not. Just a thought...

by the way, I don't mean to sound negative, just sayin'...

That's not negative at all, killing pelicans to save whitefish seems like the negative response lol.

From a rational standpoint, if there are to many pelicans eating the whitefish, then the best thing to do is to let the pelicans eat and eat till there are so many pelicans that the whitefish cannot possibly sustain the population. therefore the pelicans will die out and the whitefish will once again thrive. it's called nature. Also the biggest problem IMO would be non catch and release fisherman. There are so many ignorant assholes in this city that go out and string pickeral rigs with worms it sickens me.

Guest Sundancefisher
u got it dude.. pelicans seem too have them nailed down in regards too catching them... have seen it done many nights... im sure there are other problems too but its amazing too watch on te bow.... drives me nuts personally.. wish we could take the pelicans down legally..... i hardly see whites compared too my youth... useto be easy too get dozens of them.. now only certain time of year when they are stacked up can u get a decent number of them....

It is not the pelicans that have decimated the whites it is the regulations and anglers. When you have regulations that promote and encourage fishing for a species while they are congregating to spawn...improve the odds by hitting them in large groups...allow bait and have limits that are crazy when you think about it...

It's not the pelicans maxwell. It is the fishermen clearly in this instance. This is the biggest meat fishery in all of Alberta. People have lined up along spawning pools for years and years.

It will only end once they are listed as threatened...if we actually be fair to them. My grandfather and many older friends talk about whitefish in the Elbow so thick you could walk across them. People today think there are a ton when you see 20 in a pool. Just not the same.

It is not the pelicans that have decimated the whites it is the regulations and anglers. When you have regulations that promote and encourage fishing for a species while they are congregating to spawn...improve the odds by hitting them in large groups...allow bait and have limits that are crazy when you think about it...

It's not the pelicans maxwell. It is the fishermen clearly in this instance. This is the biggest meat fishery in all of Alberta. People have lined up along spawning pools for years and years.

It will only end once they are listed as threatened...if we actually be fair to them. My grandfather and many older friends talk about whitefish in the Elbow so thick you could walk across them. People today think there are a ton when you see 20 in a pool. Just not the same.

Absolutely, In about 5 months of fishing at LEAST 4 days a week and usualy around 6 days in the week, I hadn't landed my first whitefish on the bow untill late september/early november. I beleive, in the regulations for many rivers, fall allows for a 1 month bait fishing ban lift on most rivers to allow for whitefish, and the limits are ALWAYS 5-10.

I'm thinking we should do something to raise awareness, and possibly do something to completely lift the bait fishing session on ALL rivers, and lower the whitefish limit to 2 fish, which is more similar to most other fish species and give them a fair chance.

Quote Daxlarson:

"Today I landed one rainbow, and 2 whitefish. and I lost about 10 whitefish. I would have been happy if all I had caught was the one rainbow. "

FFWD a couple of days...

"I'm thinking we should do something to raise awareness, and possibly do something to completely lift the bait fishing session on ALL rivers, and lower the whitefish limit to 2 fish, which is more similar to most other fish species and give them a fair chance."

Just sayin'

its not just the bait fisherman ( but most are targeting fish to keep) who take their " limit " ive seen many a guy walk into a pool on the bow using flies ( generally on spinning rods ) and take their " limit ". it all depends if they understand/are educated whats going to happen in the future if they keep taking their limit or not.

I just think that a limit of five or ten on a river with a city of 2 million people on it is crazy.

Quote Daxlarsen:

"I'm thinking we should do something to raise awareness, and possibly do something to completely lift the bait fishing session on ALL rivers, and lower the whitefish limit to 2 fish, which is more similar to most other fish species and give them a fair chance."

I agree and i do not support baitfishing or taking any fish out of our ecosystem. I think the lack of whites is directly linked to the decline of their native predators, bulls.

Quote Daxlarson:

"Today I landed one rainbow, and 2 whitefish. and I lost about 10 whitefish. I would have been happy if all I had caught was the one rainbow. "

FFWD a couple of days...

Just sayin'

lol I started this topic as a joke as to how spoiled I was being for catching lots and lots of whitefish lately.....too many people took it seriously, I like whitefish and have been targeting them alot lately because I am not doing to hot in the trout department hahaha

That's not negative at all, killing pelicans to save whitefish seems like the negative response lol.

From a rational standpoint, if there are to many pelicans eating the whitefish, then the best thing to do is to let the pelicans eat and eat till there are so many pelicans that the whitefish cannot possibly sustain the population. therefore the pelicans will die out and the whitefish will once again thrive. it's called nature. Also the biggest problem IMO would be non catch and release fisherman. There are so many ignorant assholes in this city that go out and string pickeral rigs with worms it sickens me.

Speaking of pickerel rigs, here's a rainbow I caught on Friday...

p1150775.jpg

baithookedbow.jpg

That's some mighty heavy mono. Hook was way down the gullet (couldn't even see it); assume it was a hook loaded with bait.

Also got this poor little guy...

p1150761.jpg

p1150763.jpg

He's missing half his bottom jaw, seemed healthy otherwise & was still trying to eat. Not sure if it's a birth defect, or the result of some not-so-gentle catch & release, or something else. Also found a 3-nymph rig in a bush; all 3 hooks were barbed. Yep, there's some ignorant a-holes out there, for sure!

Since this thread is about whites...

p1150770.jpg

Me like cracka-fish! :angel:smail:

my older sister almost died when I caught a whitefish in front of her, she heard plenty of rumors saying they were ugly sucker-like creatures and when I showed her one she thought it was the "most adorable thing she'd ever seen" in reference mostly to the nose and whatnot hahaha.