Fly Fusion Forums

Nannies

$ 700.00 a month for my little guy. He is not there on monday. Thank God my older fella is in grade 1 at my school. You will find rates are high but if there are multiple siblings there is a reduced rate ( sometimes). Mine is a dayhome with 5 other kids, not a daycare.

Good luck.

$ 700.00 a month for my little guy. He is not there on monday. Thank God my older fella is in grade 1 at my school. You will find rates are high but if there are multiple siblings there is a reduced rate ( sometimes). Mine is a dayhome with 5 other kids, not a daycare.

Good luck.

I'm ethier looking for a live in or someone to come by and help my wife, Three little beast's and none are in school yet. With me working in the States I figure the ol wifey could probaly use a hand, heck I have one for the day and I need a hand.

[edited, since my previous comment made my point]

My best friend is Philipino and his sister has cousin helping her out with her child. So yeah, Philipino's are viable alternative.

Obviously, it depends on how many hours per week and expected duties. My sister has one too, I'll edit my comment again if I find out how much she pays.

I think we found ours at CanadianNanny.com. I'll double check with my wife and let you know if I'm mistaken. The cost varies with each situation but I think you can get a good idea of the range from the site.

Some $ info can also be found through the government of Canada if you're looking to bring someone from outside the country, I know we got lots of inquries from abroad.

Hope that helps get you started.

Guest Sundancefisher

Someone I know is looking at the nanny route. Sounds like an imported nanny can take a year...Canadian nannies charge a ton more.

Live in foreign nannies are cheaper...often do some cleaning and cooking...need their own private space and time during the week and are usually completely gone to friends houses on the weekend. Philipino's for instance have a great tight knit community and often come to work here to be near family.

Cheers

Sun

A buddy of mine had one come over from the Philipines and it took about a year to set up. I think they pay her about $1200/ month plus provide accomodation in a basement suite for a preset 40 hour work week. They did have to wait quite a while and when she first arrived the was a point where she actually almost left which would have taken another year to replace her. But it seems to be going smoothly now and they are happy with the arrangement.

I guess that has to be the entire crux of the situation... What happens if the person isn't compatible with your family/children?! Then what? What's the recourse?! I wonder how much difference in $ a local nanny is?! What about an Au pair (or is it the same thing?)? I know there are (international) organizations that have search services for au pairs...

P

A buddy of mine had one come over from the Philipines and it took about a year to set up. I think they pay her about $1200/ month plus provide accomodation in a basement suite for a preset 40 hour work week. They did have to wait quite a while and when she first arrived the was a point where she actually almost left which would have taken another year to replace her. But it seems to be going smoothly now and they are happy with the arrangement.

Guest Sundancefisher
I guess that has to be the entire crux of the situation... What happens if the person isn't compatible with your family/children?! Then what? What's the recourse?! I wonder how much difference in $ a local nanny is?! What about an Au pair (or is it the same thing?)? I know there are (international) organizations that have search services for au pairs...

P

Turns out to get the work visa nannies must have a college education. My buddy just found out the hard way after applying, waiting and waiting and waiting...

Thanks for all the info guys

We hired a 'nanny head hunter'. I forget the name of the agency but it was a crappy experience. We did use CanadianNanny.com (or something like it, as mentioned on this thread) and got some great candidates. You're wife must be a saint. I do not have the character to raise three children at home by myself. That's 3 full time jobs, no breaks.

al