Fly Fusion Forums

Hoppinator

brownonbow

The hoppinator is something that I stumbled upon on you tube. You have to check this fly out, it is simplicity and function rolled into one. As the name implies it is both an indicator and hopper thanks to a mono loop at both the eye and rear end of the hook.

Like I said simplicity...although I think this fly looks pretty good considering that it's primary role is to be an indicator. I tied one in orange for the fast runs and choppy stuff when you really want to get a good look at the indicator. Time will tell if it will actually catch any fish. The other colors I chose to tie were a tan and a brown one too.

The only addition to the original that I made was to wrap the hook with a base layer of black peacock ice dub on both the brown and the orange patterns. I opted for olive arizona semi seal for the tan pattern. In addition to covering up the hook and mono, the base layer of dubbing tends to give it a buggier look. I could tie this fly all day, I find that it does not have the frustrating elements about it like some other flies do.

Do check out this video, it is great.

Click here if the movie does not play.

post-3378-1261973104.jpg

post-3378-1261973131.jpg

post-3378-1261973144.jpg

• 2 weeks later...