Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Casters Poll

ogilvie

I remember the first Calgary Fly Fishing show when we had likely 10 Two Handers leaning against the racks, rarely picked up and often Questioned"whats that for?" or "is that a fly rod?". At that time I recall just a flicker of interest from those attending the show. On the wall we had Hardy,Lamiglas,Loop,Winston and a few custom rods.

My thoughts at the time were that many of these big rods were too much for Bow and other Southern Alberta rivers as Two Handers and that True "Trouters and Switch rods" were the ticket for the majority of local needs. The obvious was that once caught on to it would blossom.

My question to you is this,without mentioning brand names,"What are the most functional Switch or Two handers for those Rivers,or the majority of the fishing stiuations?"

Purely Interest that may assist everyone

Without mentioning brands I have two 12.5 two handers a 4 wt and 6 wt, hope to add a 7 wt to the mix this year. Will more than likely sell the 6 wt, use the 4 wt most of the time. No Switch rods yet, haven't really made an imprint on me yet. Are you wondering what rods to bring to he show this year?

Doing some market research Courtney?

So out of curiosity, is everyone talking AFTMA or "spey rod ratings" for line weights on their switchers? Some of the switch rods out there use ratings more compatible with AFTMA like a certain company in Bainbridge (in keeping with not mentioning brand names) and others use ratings similar to those on their full two-handed counterparts.

I like my 12' 6wt and 12' 6" 5wt (both full spey rods and spey line weights) for trout on the Bow. If I were to get a switch for the Bow it would likely be an 11' 5wt (AFTMA) rod.

Doing some market research Courtney?

So out of curiosity, is everyone talking AFTMA or "spey rod ratings" for line weights on their switchers? Some of the switch rods out there use ratings more compatible with AFTMA like a certain company in Bainbridge (in keeping with not mentioning brand names) and others use ratings similar to those on their full two-handed counterparts.

I like my 12' 6wt and 12' 6" 5wt (both full spey rods and spey line weights) for trout on the Bow. If I were to get a switch for the Bow it would likely be an 11' 5wt (AFTMA) rod.

A bit of research for sure but more importantly to see where this has gone. I really like the longer light weight rods myself...for Trout Rivers like you lucky people have...

If we are lucky this winter won't be too crazy so we can fish a bit when we are there...

For me the lightest I fish is a 11'6" 5wt..love those little rods

i prefer the shorter speys and switches in th 10'6" too 12' range in t 6 or 7wt.. 7's or 8' for switches.... bin loving teh Mod Edit please don`t mention brands like the loop opti switch :ninja: in the 6 the last few outings.. deadly trout stick for the bow!

i prefer the shorter speys and switches in th 10'6" too 12' range in t 6 or 7wt.. 7's or 8' for switches.... bin loving t loop opti switch in the 6 the last few outings.. deadly trout stick for the bow!

MAX!!??no brand names...whatsup...or could that be...'sup?edit edit

Researched the smaller inland rivers and larger streams for the past two years, Court. I used a 12' 5/6 but then settled on a preferred 11' length for both 3/4 (spey rating) and a 6wt for those rivers with larger occasional fish in them.

j

I've only used a spey on the bow and no where else and what I prefeer to use is my 6wt 12foot (just recently purchased) I am going to be using my 7wt 12foot for streamers and sinktips.

I can see where someone might want a long rod, for example I need to make a 60 or 70 foot cast to swing some flies through a run in the winter time, wehre the water is too cold for me to be in for any extended period of time, I could then switch to a 13 or a 14 foot rod, could I make the casts I desire with my 12 foot rod, most likely but why have to work for a cast when I can switch up to a slightly longer rod for greater distances.

Just my two cents, what do I know really anyways!

I found a 12' 6wt to be the best for just about any-thing any-where resident freshwater. Something smooth and light (too bad Sage didn't/doesn't make a SP spey rod!) with a traditional action which loads nice in the 350-400 grain range with short and mid belly lines, and scandi's 290-325 grain with a nice crisp feel . Does all the tips to 6"/sec and flexes enough to handle 24"ers on flies down to #16-#18.

I like my 14' #6/7 best for both indicator nymphing and streamers with sink tips. Line control and mending with the longer rod gets the fly into the spots I want. There are some places that I need to make the 90' cast to reach a cross river hole on the swing and I don't have the chops to get there with a 12' 6" rod.

Badger,

I agree with what you have to say 100% why work harder for a longer cast when you can just use a longer rod with half the amount of energy

Badger,

I agree with what you have to say 100% why work harder for a longer cast when you can just use a longer rod with half the amount of energy

You should be letting the rod do the work. A longer rod will get you some extra distance with the same amount of effort, but in my experience they're heavier and will tire you out sooner than a shorter, lighter rod.

Hey guys.

Good to see the speycasters of Calgary are still at it, and debating the ins and outs of the needs for the Bow river, a couple of points come to mind, don't need a huge rod for the Bow, but sometimes workin hard with a short rod is more tiring, i remember the airflow 40 plus fly line which was a line rated all wrong by the manufacture to make it seem like it just flew out the rod tip, designed like a heavy shooting head, but to fish all day was tiring, hard work on the rod and me.

Gordo.