Fly Fusion Forums

Environment Minister's Advisory Group

Folks,

For those that are interested in water issues, here is a report. http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/8239.pdf

Several things became clear:

1] First in Time/First in Right will still exist

2] The group is advocating on & off stream storage

3] Protected water finally for over-allocated rivers - eg - Highwood is over-allocated by 10% - in other words - licenses have been issued for 110% of the water - obviously a competent decision.

4] Oil Companies better watch their butts - no more ERCB rubber stamping fresh water injection projects.

good morning,

Don

Guest Sundancefisher
Folks,

For those that are interested in water issues, here is a report. http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/8239.pdf

Several things became clear:

1] First in Time/First in Right will still exist

2] The group is advocating on & off stream storage

3] Protected water finally for over-allocated rivers - eg - Highwood is over-allocated by 10% - in other words - licenses have been issued for 110% of the water - obviously a competent decision.

4] Oil Companies better watch their butts - no more ERCB rubber stamping fresh water injection projects.

good morning,

Don

I did not know the ERCB was rubber stamping anything? Darn...I must of missed that. The hoops the oil and gas industry goes through already with the ERCB is intense and often crazy. Stream lining regulatory requirements and encouraging conservation is great. Most issues I have seen involves the need for make up water or water that is lost in the process and can't be filled with recycled water. Long ago fresh water only was used but these days recycling systems have come a long ways.

As for the main users of water...I question farmers that irrigate their crops in 80 km/hr winds and 30 degree heat.

I also can see a massive amount of water lost in failing infrastructure in our city's and town's water distribution networks.

Let' put the water diversion for the Bow above Calgary then see how much water is left in the river in the heart of a million people. It will take this type of visable impact on the population to have the Tory Blue do something. The public doesn't see the water trucks with hoses sucking water out of some small stream some whereor better yet running the pipe right into the creek.

post-3358-1259075648.jpgpost-3358-1259075662.jpg

Carson Creek, the section below is slow and silty. That is about an 8" pipe running directly into the creek behind the weir. I'm sure that the natural grayling and athabasca rainbow's aren't bothered!!!!!

That structure contravens the Federal Fisheries Act unless they approved it.. Also any pipe or culvert that is installed so it prevents fish passage up and downstream contravenes the Fisheries Act.

How many people here have reported such structures to your provncial Conservation Officer Services?

Sundance,

See report items copied below.

I know there are oil companies that actively work @ recycling. Others - well...

Typically in most oil fields it's one barrel of oil out for 1 bbl of water in. Depending on formation compatibility, sometimes recycled water can be used. More often than not - fresh water is used as the driver.

And the herring of what farmers/urban dwellers do as compared to oil companies. Ya' right. The big difference is oil injection water is gone from the surface water cycle.

Recommendation #14 - The Minister should actively facilitate the

systematic coordination of water related initiatives and regulatory

processes across the government.

All three levels of government, as well as many different departments of

the provincial government, are involved in water regulation and water

related initiatives, each with their own mandates and deliverables. It is

inevitable that water management strategies will not be consistent across

all these groups. However, to the extent possible within the Alberta

government, every effort should be made to align water management

strategies with Water for Life and related water policies. Some situations

have arisen where decisions by provincial regulators have discouraged

investments in water conservation and efficiency. As a specific example,

the Energy Resources Conservation Board approval processes are

streamlined for those applicants that propose using existing technologies

and practices. This approach penalizes those applicants that would

otherwise propose advances in technology or water management practices

that would conserve water through recycling and reuse. Barriers to

implementing best in class water management practices must be removed.