Fly Fusion Forums

Phil Yer Boots....err...stockings

My sources in the publishing business tell me that our flat water buddy Phil Rowley's new (I wish I knew the name of it) book is now at the printers and God willin' and the creeks don't rise should be in the stores before Christmas. Don't ask me which stores.

From some of the galleys I got a sneak peak at, it looks like a gooder with lots of new chronie and other stillwater patterns by Phil and other top western tiers plus much more good content. It will be bound with a ring binder format so the pages stay open on your tying table.

Make a perfect stocking stuffer, I'd say, and sure beats the heck out of socks.

(I reckon this should be good enough for an afternoon on Ironside with the maestro.)

Neil,

If Phil's book is as good as Stillwater Patterns, I'd part with my $'s in a second. A bunch of the patterns from Stillwaters are in my boxes.

Will get a chance to see/buy it when he presents his annual fly tying program in Red Deer.

regards,

Don

Yup, it looks like Rowley takes everything he learned in Stillwater and builds on it, Don. I think it's fair to say that Phil is to Alberta flat waters what Jim Mac is to Alberta flowing waters. Although our buddy Barry - the Big Bear from Cadomin - did a fine job with his Trout Highway book too.

Considering you were one of the crash test dummies in Mitchell's book I'm sure you will agree. (I better plug Clive's informative flyfishing 101 book too, just to maintain a little north/south balance).

When are we going to see "Bamboo Man - the Don Andersen Method of Weed Rod Building"?

Or how about "Cane and Barely Able"?

Cheers Darren.

It's also my understanding that my deer hunting host Bob Scammell is on the verge of acquiring a box of his out-of-print classic "The Phenological Fly."

John Gierach devotes an entire chapter in "Fool's Paradise" to Bob's book which he described in one of his earlier Fly Rod and Reel pieces as one of the few new fly fishing innovations in decades. Matching hatches with wild flower blossoms. Which Trout Bum does with a blue winged olive hatch in Colorado and the same bug on Prairie Creek when the aspen poplars are blooming.

Another potential stocking stuffer, fer sure.

Yup, it looks like Rowley takes everything he learned in Stillwater and builds on it, Don. I think it's fair to say that Phil is to Alberta flat waters what Jim Mac is to Alberta flowing waters. Although our buddy Barry - the Big Bear from Cadomin - did a fine job with his Trout Highway book too.

Considering you were one of the crash test dummies in Mitchell's book I'm sure you will agree. (I better plug Clive's informative flyfishing 101 book too, just to maintain a little north/south balance).

When are we going to see "Bamboo Man - the Don Andersen Method of Weed Rod Building"?

Or how about "Cane and Barely Able"?

Neil,

I've already got published in 2 books. I wrote chapters of the Best of the Planing Form. The info is a little technical. There will not be a cane book from me. Already enough info out there on the subject. Not a lot new to add.

catch ya'

Don