Fly Fusion Forums

Made In?

genn

Doggone it Jack,

The only manufacturers of rods in Canada that I'm aware of are made of bamboo. Mind you the cane is from China, the ferrules from the US, reel seats made by the manufacturer from imported metals, guides from the CDN, US, UK or Japan, cork from Portagal BUT the rod shaft itself is made by CDN's.

I know there are few of us left but we are not yet extinct.

regards,

Don

Jack,

I'm not alone in building bamboo rods. I'm know of 10 in BC of which 9 are still building + perhaps 4>5 in Alberta. Sask/Man have none that I'm aware of with a number in Ont>NFL. The bamboo guys are the only CDN manufacturers of fishing rods.

catch ya'

Don

Here are all the rods that are "Made in the USA"

Thomas & Thomas - Greenfield, Mass.

Scott - Montrose, Colorado

Winston - Twin Bridges, Montana

St. Croix - Park Falls, Wisconsin

And of course Sage, to which I've already mentioned...

P

what rods are made in cdn or usa and what does that mean

Orvis produces and assembles "Helios" and "Hydro" Series rods... And are now the only 2 series of rods/blanks made from scratch in their shop in Manchester Vermont (U.S)...Meaning there is more attention to detail, technology and extensive testing on the select models that were mentioned...The rest of the Orvis rod models are made in Korea...

Cheers...Jeff..

Some St. Croix were made offshore and some are now made in their brand new facility in Fresnillo, Mexico.(page 60 of the latest issue of Fly Fusion)

A large percentage of components are made "offshore" and many rods are technically "assembled in USA".

j

I have no problem whatsoever buying a fishing rod made overseas.

All it means is I will be paying what the true value is. There is no reason whatsoever a top quality rod should cost more than $400

It takes alot of marketing dollars to con you into paying $800-$1000 for a fly rod and feel good about it.