Fly Fusion Forums

Whats The Deal With Fortress Ski Area?

I was going to hit up fortress today for a bit of exploration and skiing... I was turned back at the bridge by a couple of security people telling me it is now private property...

I thought that was in a park, and as such, not a private location. Anyways, I will be back at it, but next time I will just hop the river and skin up the powerline until I hit the road...

Went to chester lake instead, and the snow was beautiful... about a meter deep of light soft powder by the lake... I didn't go onto the slopes as I was unprepared.

Jon

Yeah I heard it was some type of "James Bond" like action/spy movie...

P

I thought I heard something about a Leonardo di Caprio film being made in Kananaskis.

No idea whether that has anything to do with what you faced, but I did also hear security is quite tight.

Smitty

I was going to hit up fortress today for a bit of exploration and skiing... I was turned back at the bridge by a couple of security people telling me it is now private property...

I thought that was in a park, and as such, not a private location. Anyways, I will be back at it, but next time I will just hop the river and skin up the powerline until I hit the road...

Went to chester lake instead, and the snow was beautiful... about a meter deep of light soft powder by the lake... I didn't go onto the slopes as I was unprepared.

Jon

You should have told them to piss off!

It is a LEASE in a provincial park and they cannot keep you from accessing your land!

Not quite true my friend, better study the access/trespass/leasing laws. When the terms of a lease are being met, property being leased becomes in effect private property of the leaseholder within a few limits. Unlimited public trespass rights is generally not part of the agreement.

Not quite true my friend, better study the access/trespass/leasing laws. When the terms of a lease are being met, property being leased becomes in effect private property of the leaseholder within a few limits. Unlimited public trespass rights is generally not part of the agreement.

I am quite aware of different leases. Grazing leases, Leases through the Ag Disposition act, mining leases, etc...

Each have their own conditions of access, they would want you to think they can keep you off all of them, but not so.

The lease that encompasses the Fortress area has its own verbage to stop you from trespassing in the immediate buildings area, but the road as an example they cannot stop you from walking up.

Same as the leases in the forestry when the Oil companies punch a road in. They put up a fence and a sign that says "no trespassing, private property" It is total BS you can still acess the area for fishing and hunting, but the leaseholder wants you to think you cannot because of the misleading sign they post.

Weren't the production company (or whomever apply for the permit) required to post there application/request?! We should be able to find this info out, no?!

P

I am quite aware of different leases. Grazing leases, Leases through the Ag Disposition act, mining leases, etc...

Each have their own conditions of access, they would want you to think they can keep you off all of them, but not so.

The lease that encompasses the Fortress area has its own verbage to stop you from trespassing in the immediate buildings area, but the road as an example they cannot stop you from walking up.

Same as the leases in the forestry when the Oil companies punch a road in. They put up a fence and a sign that says "no trespassing, private property" It is total BS you can still acess the area for fishing and hunting, but the leaseholder wants you to think you cannot because of the misleading sign they post.

Well, I may be in the small minority, but I don't mind the inconvenience of them filming a movie here.

Brings business and $ to our economy, and have films like Unforgiven, Brokeback Mountain (insert homophobic joke here) Jesse James, is good for putting Alberta on the map.

Glad to see some $ towards a permanent film studio in Calgary. Makes sense. Remember, the nice thing about the filming locations being tied up is that it's temporary.

Smitty

Have at it, I'm willing to bet the Courts would find in the same way they did in the OH Rio Alto Ranch case some yrs back.

Well, I may be in the small minority, but I don't mind the inconvenience of them filming a movie here.

Brings business and $ to our economy, and have films like Unforgiven, Brokeback Mountain (insert homophobic joke here) Jesse James, is good for putting Alberta on the map.

Glad to see some $ towards a permanent film studio in Calgary. Makes sense. Remember, the nice thing about the filming locations being tied up is that it's temporary.

Smitty

Don't forget "RAD!" dude!

PS - Ellen Page is in the movie as well. Was at my buddies last night and he's a Calgary EMS. A colleague of his was out there looking at her because she hurt her ankle.. had no idea who she was until someone told him after. haha

Smitty,

I don't think anyone has a problem with them filming movies here (I know I don't), the issue is with restricting access of public land that our tax $'s have paid for, etc...

P

Smitty