Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Reels

lethfisher

I am in the market for a new reel for my 7wt Switch rod and have been looking around at a lot online at a lot of different companies. I am pretty sure that it should be a large arbour reel right? Right now I only have a 7wt mayfly reel on it and i really don't think it is big enough or heavy enough to balance out the rod. I am looking to spend around $200 on a reel... Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!

I have one nice reel smooth drag and its too light to balance my 10' 6wt loomis.If that helps.

hmm if it is to light to balance a 10 6wt then i doubt it will balance an 11'2 7wt... is that one the 2056 model? (Opposed to 2078) Also what is the warranty like on Pflueger? I looked on their website and there isn't any info on it... thanks for the info!!

hmm if it is to light to balance a 10 6wt then i doubt it will balance an 11'2 7wt... is that one the 2056 model? (Opposed to 2078) Also what is the warranty like on Pflueger? I looked on their website and there isn't any info on it... thanks for the info!!

go with te 9/10 model and you should be laughin.. a multi 6/9 is a nice reel aswell or the amundson 7/8/9 i think it was.....

go with te 9/10 model and you should be laughin.. a multi 6/9 is a nice reel aswell or the amundson 7/8/9 i think it was.....

oo i wish the Multi, that would be awesome :) Have you used the Evotec CLW reel? not the clear one though that thing looks weird...

Tungsten did you just tape that lead on there at the back? I should probably just be concerned with getting a good quality reel and then adjusting it as needed once it is lined up rather than buying a reel based on weight...

Anyone use Okuma reels at all? Found this one and I think it would be a sweet match for the Blueline rod, based purely on looks though lol

http://www.okumafishing.com/dyn_family.php?k=284112

It is highly recommended that you balance your Switch rod with a reel in the 9/10 range...not only for capacity but also for weight balance and feel. Many of the lines we have today for Switch rods are not necessarily large capacity Lines but as said balance is a bigger need.

The reels you mentioned are good reels...

If you have a few bucks put aside spend it wisely...The Snowbee XS9/10 is an ideal size ...comes in Black or Titanium finish...Regular price is $320...but ..

If you look at the Nile Creek Fly Shop website you will find a big sale there next week...it is a ladies sale ..get your girl to call...

Here you see Val fishing the beaches for Pink Salmon and Cutties with her Switch rod lined with the Snowbee XD9/10 and Snowbee SaltWater Line...it is Salt water friendly and has a MAjor drag with NO bearings to mess up and rust!

don't kid yourself, the Loop multi 6/9 is the reel to perfectly match this rod. Lots of capacity and the same g3 drag as the evotecs and optis. The reel is heavy enough to balance the rod and small enough that it won't look ridiculous like putting a 9/10 reel on a rod this small. PM or call me if you want more info or have any questions

Brian

1-888-822-3474

don't kid yourself, the Loop multi 6/9 is the reel to perfectly match this rod. Lots of capacity and the same g3 drag as the evotecs and optis. The reel is heavy enough to balance the rod and small enough that it won't look ridiculous like putting a 9/10 reel on a rod this small. PM or call me if you want more info or have any questions

Brian

1-888-822-3474

Thanks for the advice. The multi's are a pretty sweet reel, when I eventually go buy a reel I am going to take in my rod to see how it looks in proportion to the rod. That is definitely one drawback to the internet lol

Do the multi's make a clicking sound when you strip the line out? I love that sound and if no click then no reel lol Along that line, do the Presidents make a click sound?

Thanks for the advice. The multi's are a pretty sweet reel, when I eventually go buy a reel I am going to take in my rod to see how it looks in proportion to the rod. That is definitely one drawback to the internet lol

Do the multi's make a clicking sound when you strip the line out? I love that sound and if no click then no reel lol Along that line, do the Presidents make a click sound?

Multi's are silent the evotecs make a subtle clicking sound.

Brian

lethfisher

if your wanting the sound and the scream your reel will make with a good fish on , then yes you need a click pawl reel , hardys makes some still , the new salmon reel and the new st georges

or better you can find a nice older leaded finish reel pre 40's with round line guide , and if you don't want to drop alot of coin , pick up a older hardys st john in 3 7/8 , everything you need and should be able to get yourself into a good one for less then $350 , and the best part is you use it for 5 years and take care of it and it will only go up in value , be worth more then you paid , can't say that about orvis, sage's or even loop reels , they only go down in value the min you walk out the store

if you need a hand finding a good click pawl reel , send me a email and i'll send you in the right direction , i seen a 3 screw hardy st john in leaded finish sell the other day for $260 , deals can be had

Anybody use Ross Reels? Found a good deal on a CLA #4 heres the specs on it. Pretty sure I want this one lol

Weight = 7.3 oz (pflueger 2090 was 6.6 oz mult is 9.17 oz)

Diameter = 3.75" (multi is 3.85" pflueger 2090 is 4.25")

Lifetime warranty

Rated for 7-9 wt

Capacity WF8+200

Its new and cheaper than the Pflueger...

Hey SilverDoctor,

I was looking at all the New Hardy reels this morning, including the New Perfect Salmon reel not so keen on the greenie colour, saw the price tag............and woke up on the Tackle shop floor. :D

Gordon.

Can't afford the new ones... It's the vintage I really like.