Fly Fusion Forums

International Relationships

lamponius

Hi everybody!

First, I want to say it s nice to meet you all and that I ve been reading the different posts and I really enjoyed it. It s really nice to have people who know what they re talking about.

Second, if you find I have a "funny way" to write you re right!! It s because I m from France. Actually it s my first year in Canada and in Calgary (so it was my first winter, first rockies, first bear...). So, i hope you understand everything I want to say. Otherwise, just tell me...

i m writing because I need your help...I decided to try flyfishing (I dream about it since I m 15 but I was living in Paris and in France the few rivers with trout are ine the south...I ve been fishing since then but other species like pike, carps...). I ve been practicing my casting first then I ve been trying to fish the Elbow. I read here that it s not the one holding the biggest trout population...Anyway, I think I cast correctly (most of the time ;) ) and I tried to fish with hopper pattern. I gave a shot with nymph but it s too difficult.

I need some help. In fact, I just need at this stage a spot where it s sure to land some fish. I must to figure out what the problem is. If you send me to a place where I don t even have a strike, and where it s sure that anybody could fish something, then I would know that the problem...it s me!! I can tell I need a little of confidence. Obviously, I m not looking for a trophy trout so the size of the fish doesn t mattter (I dont fish for eating - there some less expensive and easier way to eat fish - and I release)!!

Well, I m waiting for any advice or suggestion :)

Bonjour lamponius,

Bienvenue au Fly Fish Calgary. Au reponse a tes question, le riviere Bow est tres dificile pour pecher.

Je suggere que tu prend un course de fly fishing a un magasin de pecher. Un bon ecole est "McLennan Flyfishing School".

Ou tu peux poster dans le fishing "Get togethers", section, a FFC.

Mon fils de quatorze ans a fait le translation, parce que je ne suis pas le meilleur au francais.

Salute,

Greg Allard

welcome dude. ide say fish streamers clousers wooly buggers and other sculpin whitefish or leech patterns if u want too search out the bigger pike and browns in teh deeper pools and runs...fishing a hopper dropper rig( dryfly with nymph trailing) would be a good bet in the shallwer runs and faster pocketwater and choppy water. fish caddis, hoppers and other good searching dries (ive bin diggin anything with foam latley) with a mayfly or caddis pupae trailing...fish the streamers with a little weight too get you down if your streamers have noe coneheads or lead eyes. what type of nymph rig were u fishing last time out...if ur hanging up alot u have too much weight but if ur not touching bottom u need a little more...

Thanks Maxwell !

I think I ll try little creek with little fishes easier (??) too catch...First I was thinking in hopper/dropper but when I try it seemed very difficult because You have to focus on the cast and everything else (for example, it s already hard to see the flight at the begining so it almost impossible to be aware of whats wrong! ).

I ll let you know if I land something...(a sucidal fish maybe...)

Thanks again.

you say you fish the elbow? there is plenty of small fish in the elbow. Bigger ones below the glenmore reservoir and smaller as you go upstream. try riffles during the evening with small streamers, the small fish are fun to catch when you find them in groups. Leech patterns work great too, just don't go TOO big.

I want to Thank everybody for the help...

I listen everyone of you and I opted for small creeks...Thanks to one of you I used an adams pattern, I get up early and gave a shot. And it worked...I caught 8 rainbows...Of course, thats small one we re talking about (the biggest (or less small ;) ) was 10 inches...The first one was really small so 10 inches seemed good to me... :P . It was my first fishes and I can tell you I missed a lot!!!

I leraned a lot of things and it s really easier in small streams because it s easier to read the river...The cast is easier to (except for the dense vegetation sometimes...).

I must add that I was very pleased and enjoyed it a lot...I even took the last one with a very bad imitation of adams of my own (I decided to try because I had already caught enough fish. More than I have dream of)...

Of course, seeing all your photos with trophy fishes...It s hard to catch a baby fish!!! But, one day, when I m ready, I will try the bow...But no now ;) !

I wnat to finish answering to some questions :

Christofficer : I fished in the elbow, upstream of glenmore reservoir. But I realize now I wast necesarly putting my fly on good spots. But I was fishing with a dry because with a nymph or a streamer was too difficult. And I prefer to see the fly and the catch!

Saltamontes : Hablas espanol ? lo digo porque tienes ese apodo tan lindo...If you don t speak spanish, I apology for asking that. I was just wondering...

Lamponious, por supuesto que hablo espanol. Originario de Chile, radicado en Canada de hace ya mas de 30 anos. Fanatico pescador con moscas (secas 99%). Te adjunto un enlace para un sitio chileno de pesca con mosca. Mi sobrenombre, Saltamontes es debido a mi mosca preferida, la cual me ha dado resultados increibles en rios cordilleranos.

Buena suerte amigo y posiblemente algun dia nos encontraremos en la orilla de un estero.

Saltamontes

www.riosysenderos.cl