Fly Fusion Forums

Automatic Bobbins For A Regular Vise

Wanny

Currently I am tying on a non-rotary vise and I am currious if an automatic bobbin would be a good idea. I could see these really cutting down tying time on some of those flys that require resting the bobbin a few times. Obviously the price is steep for a bobbin but maybe it is well worth it

Just wondering what the experienced automatic bobbin users think of it and recommend?

I know that some guys can use there automatic bobbins with any vise, but I can't only with my Nor-vise otherwise I just stick to to my old standbys which are usually the old TMC ceramic's but as of late have been using the Rite bobbin more and more which i like a lot just don't like loading them with a new thread color or new size maybe I'll just have to go get a bunch more.

cheers chuckandducker

I could see it helping with any vise. Definately more with a rotary as you pull the bobbin out of the way more, but even just a few inches of winding back takes some time.

I think my Nor-bobbin is one of my best fly tying purchases. Makes a lot of things easier, not just back winding. Parachute posts and securing hackle wraps are a few off the top of my head.

They are pricey, though. I'd like to see something cheaper come out. I'm not sure if that is feasible, but it seems a $100 is a bit high for the mechanism involved.

I think my Nor-bobbin is one of my best fly tying purchases. Makes a lot of things easier, not just back winding. Parachute posts and securing hackle wraps are a few off the top of my head.

Never used any kind of automatic bobbin before. How does it make parachute posts easier? Is it because there isn't too much tension on the thread but it still isn't totally slack? My hatred of parachute posts is the main reason I buy all my para adams instead of tying them.

I use an Ekich bobbin and IMO, it's the best one out there ( I have not used the Rite though). I didn't think it would really make much of a difference, but after tying with one for a week, I couldn't go back to using a standard bobbin. The Nor-vise bobbins are great as well, but the big drawback for me was the spools. Because you need to wind the thread to the spools, you lose out on any time saving. the Ekich accepts standard spools like UNI, Danville, Gudebrod and Bennechi (with a small notch cut). The tension is great, and I can even use the UNI Caenis (20 denier) with it. The only drawback I've found with it is the length of thread you can use before needing to reset the tension spring. You can use 24 inches, which is enough for most trout flies I tie, but for the salmon and steelhead flies I tie, I usually need to reset it once, but even that, is pretty simple and can be done one handed while you tie.

I would suggest getting a hold of someone with any of the bobbins interested in and giving them a try. If you come to the Fusion show in the new year, there should be a couple people with the bobbins to look over and see how they work.

I use the nor bobbins all the time whether its on a rotary vice or not. Love not having to wind back thread. You don't need a Nore vice to use one. As for the bobbins I have a half dozen that I fill with thread threads I commonly use. Filling a bobbin spool with thread takes less than a minute so I don't look at it as detrimental. If you really want it to go fast use an electric drill and fill one in seconds. The times that I use an odd ball thread or silk I just use a standard bobbin. Tried out the Ekich bobbin a few times and it's quite cool but the price was out of my ball park.

Edited by SilverDoctor

Thanks for all the input. Well, it seems like it is going to be handy to tie with for sure.... am I on the inevitable road to a nor-vise now?

I guess my next decision will be which one. Leaning towards the nor-bobbin for what seems like ease of use and a fair bit less than the Ekich, however, the rite bobbin seems awfully cheap at around $20 on a few sites - might be a good way to try them out. I know I have seen the nor-bobbins at a few fly shops, do any carry the Ekich or Rite bobbins?

Check into warrantees, too. I went with Norlander originally because he offered a lifetime replace/repair warrantee and Ekitch only offered one year.

Filling the Nor spools is easy; takes a few seconds and puts maybe 100 flys worth of thread on there. The biggest time waster is changing spools and threading the bobbins. That can only be solved by having more bobbins, which makes the Nor at $35 a more reasonable.

There is a small cost associated with the Nor spools, but most people don't use dozens of thread types, anyway. Spool labeling (keeping track of denier etc) is my main problem with the Nor system. Pretty easy to eyeball it, though.

headscan- the para post are easier because it is way easier to keep a light and constant tension on the post. I had trouble with them before I got the Nor bobbin.

I went Norvise all the way and have 6 of the automatic bobbins and 15 spools all filled with various and sundry good stuff. I also have 5 of the old type bobbins from befre I got the norvise and use them for some things as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The guys at troutfitters let me give a norbobbin a test run. I liked it - taking into account there would be some breaking in period to work out the little glitches and get comfortable with it, seems like the best bang for the buck and have heard good things about warranty and service when dealing with them. So once the cold stuff really hits i think i'll be tying with a nor bobbin.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

And thanks to the guys for troutfitters for letting me give er a whirl.