Fly Fusion Forums

Construction Of My Fly Tying Bench

Wanny

On Thanksgiving I headed to my gf's parents house for a few days. Her dad has a nice woodworking shop so I figured that would be the best time to build a bench i have wanted to do for quit some time.

I have been looking at plenty of benches on line and compiling some ideas that I wanted to have in mine. I used 9' of 1x5 S4S Oak for the raised arms for tools and thread. The base was laminated out of two peices of 3/4 oak plywood because I was not willing to pay $80 for a full sheet of oak plywood for one bench.

All in all I am very happy with the outcome. I am sure after a few hours of tying on it I will think of something i would like added or changed but that can be for bench #2 some day

Holds:

42 Thread spools

1 ipod holder

6 bobbins

8 various tools

3 hair stackers

2 bead trays

4 various glues/waxes

1 hook tray

1 beer holder

The finished bench seemed hard to get a good picture of because of the shine off the varnish but here it is anyway.

FlyTyingBench027.jpg

FlyTyingBench022.jpg

FlyTyingBench010Large.jpg

FlyTyingBench037Large.jpg

FlyTyingBench034Large.jpg

Very nice work. I have had a similar project half started since the end of last winter, but I will definitely be adding an ipod holder and a drink holder when I get back at'er this winter.

What drill bit did you use for the recessed holes?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what do you guys use to store your hackle? Mine is just stacked ontop of each other but i would love to do a spin rack so the feathers hang and dont get munched

what do you guys use to store your hackle? Mine is just stacked ontop of each other but i would love to do a spin rack so the feathers hang and dont get munched

Ive got quite a few bucks invested in expensive hackle, so proper storage is definitely a consideration. When not in use, I keep mine inside a rubbermaid container. It keeps the pets out of them, and also helps to deter any bugs from taking up residence in the capes and saddles themselves.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for giving me the inspiration to make a tying bench. I tried to use stock sizes to minimize the amount of cutting but ended up with something bigger than I wanted. I changed my mind on what to build a few times during the process. I’m hoping it keeps me organized a bit better.

BEFORE:

13839_208704445890_633880890_4413554_2681351_n.jpg

AFTER:

13839_208704455890_633880890_4413556_7364861_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...