Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Tying Desk & Containment Center

jusfloatin

Good day to all

I am looking for ideas on building a nice comfortable tying table.

First off I don't have a lot of anything ( Please refer to my post in the Trading section under Bench vise and assort.) but I am sure I will.

With that in mind what have some of you handy kind of guy's built or be able to piece together from either numerous trips to the flea markets or the back alleys of Forest Heights. Maybe it was something that you hatched out in the garage when the pops were at there best "cold".

May I remind you everyone like pics.

Putting the finishing touches on a bench that sits on a table. I will post finished pics in a day or so. Made out of oak but could make it out of scraps.... Even grab a short 2x4 and drill a few holes in it for tools. I also use a sheet of peg board and some hooks to hang materials in their original bag. Makes it organized, easy to see everything and less double purchasing.

Bhurt........ *Shutter*

This is my setup. I recently purchased this desk of kijiji and find it works great as a tying table. I particularly like the "tiered" shelves which help to keep my material organized and out of the way when I'm tying. I store all my material in small rubbermaid drawers on the top shelf.

img0633c.th.jpg

This is my setup. I recently purchased this desk of kijiji and find it works great as a tying table. I particularly like the "tiered" shelves which help to keep my material organized and out of the way when I'm tying. I store all my material in small rubbermaid drawers on the top shelf.

img0633c.th.jpg

Very Nice I like...........

I took a folding banquet table and cut about 2" off each leg, it's a good height. Sprayed the top with craft glue and covered it with poker table green felt. It's easy on the eyes and I find it's easier to pick materials up off of it but will still 'catch' excess dubbing, thread, ect. so they don't end up in the cold air return. I just give it the once over with the shopvac when I'm done the session. I use one of those table mounted swinging lamps with a 120W bulb. It gets hot, but belts out light. For materials, one of those mega tackle boxes, gear guys use. It has enough compartments to keep things fairly organized and works well for trips too. Anything that doesn't fit in it, goes in some medium sized tupperware containers. If you can, put you're desk/table somewhere where you'll get natural light. I find that the more organized I stay, the more efficient I am.

I realy like the idea of the green felt.

Having something down that will help to keep the many things from getting away. This is a definate concern I have always had being I have a dog that appears to be one of those unique walking & eating magnets.

I was thinking of checking out some of the numerous second hand stores in my area just incase they have a good base to start from.

A good story about my organized chaos.

Anyways one day I go to work and here I am working away and I fell a pinch between my toes, thinking it is a small rock or something I wiggle my nose and what not, anyways I go all day like that and when I get home I pull of my sock only to discover I have a #16 Scud hook barried in the side of my toe.

Came out easily in the end.