Fly Fusion Forums

Help With Streamer Rod Selection

dkbnmn

Hey fellas', looking for a little info on some rods that I'm looking at and maybe some directions as to what some of you streamer guys are using.

Here is the short list of rods:

Loop AEG 696-4

Loop Multi 696-4

Loomis MAX GLX 9" 6wt

Loomis Stream dance GLX 9"6' 6wt or 10" 6wt

Guideline LPXE 9" 6wt

sage xp 690-4

sage z-axis 690-4

Thomas & Thomas HE 696-4

This is going to be my streamer rod and only my streamer rod. I am and will be using RIO DC type 6wt and 7 wt with is and probable will be looking at the RIO outbounds WF6S6 line.

Any one of those rods would do,go with what you can afford and what feels right.Last week i took a 6110 z axis for a spin with a sink tip line,a little heavy for my taste the sink tip was too long but had no problem casting clousers to the other bank.I also have a real cheap 6wt that i use now and then for casting heavy rigs and it works just fine too.So cast a few see what feels right.

My own pick would be the Loop Multi 696-4. As was said the AEG is hard to find. Mind you if it was me in myown opinion for a streamer rod I would go to the 5 wt.

I have the Loop Multi 696-4 and when lined with a SA Nymph Taper 7wt wf line it chucks streamers really nice. Mind you if you wanna throw bigger stuff for bulltrout or pike I would suggest a bigger rod, haven't tried it yet but I hear the loop pike booster series is a very nice rod, but for the bow throwing weighted leeches, clousers, sculpins, etc.. the Multi is a fine rod.

For big bombs the 40+ line or the Guideline Bullet is the line I would use on my Multi that I have tried, think I might try out the Opti Stream line next and see how I like it.

If you wanna try out the rod we can try and arange something and if you try it out.

If your looking for a 6 weight streamer rod, in my opinion the faster the better. I have the Z690 and it buckles when casting heavier or bulky wind resistant flies, my main rod otherwise. However, I wonder if a TCR or TCX in a 6 would be a better all around streamer rod. I'd personally like to get a 9-9.5 ft 7 weight for a big fly streamer rod at some point.

If you are streamer fishing mostly out of a boat in the Bow I would stay with any of those rods that feel good to you and overline with a 7 wt. to help with loading the rod.

If you lake fish, or shore fishing where you will be throwing more line and with wind being more of an issue I would go with a 7wt rod and 7wt line.

go cast em all dude and see what works best for you! check out the opti series aswell if your looking for a higher end rod but i love my multis for guiding! the rest of the rods youve listed are excellent aswell! like other have mentioned find one u like the best!!!! casting wise!

go cast em all dude and see what works best for you! check out the opti series aswell if your looking for a higher end rod but i love my multis for guiding! the rest of the rods youve listed are excellent aswell! like other have mentioned find one u like the best!!!! casting wise!

And when you do cast them try and have something similar in weight to the streamers you plan to throw on the end. If you are planning to throw heavy streamers a 6 wt is a bit light for smooth casting. If you are planning on using a long sink tip or a full sinking line a 6 wt is a bit light for lifting the line and fly out of the water. If this rod is mainly for tossing streamers and sinking lines then you might want to up size a bit.

And when you do cast them try and have something similar in weight to the streamers you plan to throw on the end. If you are planning to throw heavy streamers a 6 wt is a bit light for smooth casting. If you are planning on using a long sink tip or a full sinking line a 6 wt is a bit light for lifting the line and fly out of the water. If this rod is mainly for tossing streamers and sinking lines then you might want to up size a bit.

I agree. Big streamers with a sink tip line could be a little much for a 6wt depending on casting ability. Add some wind into the mix and it gets a bit tougher. I used to use an 8wt single hander as a dedicated streamer rod for the Bow.