Fly Fusion Forums

When Do Some Parents Finally Shake Their Head

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

This kid was an idiot.

He was asked by school police officer to show ID...proof he should be in the school. In return he called the cop names, refused to comply with the request, became more belligerent and now is whinning.

Meanwhile, kids...being as naive about life as most are...are taking cell phone video to "help". Unfortunately for them it just proves the cop was patient and the kid nothing but a punk...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1316163/

Here's the problem....and I tend to paint everyone with the same brush, so this is a departure for me. But I speak from personal experience. Sometimes it's not about the parents. Sometimes it's just the kids. But sometimes, actually alot of the times, good kids - good kids at heart who have grown up in good homes, with good parents, with good morals - fall into the whole "peer pressure" scenario and do things they ordinarily wouldn't. To be cool. To prove they can fit in. To show non-conformity and prove they're a bit of a rebel thereby making them more appealing to others. In this case, it looks like the kid was indeed an idiot with a mouth. But I think sometimes we need to look at something like this, beyond the headlines, and not assume the worst about the kid or the parent. But it is easiest to believe the worst because in most cases it's the truth.

Bottom line though - there is a growing lack of respect for law enforcement in this country....and this parent wholeheartedly approves of the police patrolling her son's highschool. I can only see that being a good thing.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

teach him some respect with the baton!! Who cares about some punk kid, i need some one to pump my gas at 2am in the winter and its kids like that who will be doing it.

Guest Sundancefisher

without a doubt some times something is wrong with a kid and they are just bad. Very unfortunate but I feel rare if they were born into a loving family that wanted him/her to be born. However I see dozens of kids on the bus and train that have zero respect for themselves or others. Swearing, talking back, pushing, threatening, spitting, drunk, on drugs, being just plain abusive. Girls talking about stuff they have no sense to know better or traveling alone clearly drunk.

I see many kids in Calgary whose parents are absent at a young age. Then as the kids get older and want more out of life and their parents attention...so they ask to do things with them. Then the parents say...I am soooo tired. Here is $50...go with some friends to the movies and get some dinner. Then 5, 10 or 20 kids pile out of there homes...stand there with $50 until some bad kid says...hey...give me the money and I have a friend that will hook us all up.

Next thing you know they are in a location treed park, drinking booze and smoking dope.

Cops freely admit this is really bad down south...especially in the more well to do neighbourhoods. Nothing they can do to stop it supposedly. They would rather know they are not breaking into homes...yet. Parents need to be more accountable. Spend the time with the kids rather than over time at work every day, watching the hockey game, etc. Or at the very least try and incorporate them at an early age in those evening activities. Play some games etc.

Really quite sad when a kid comes over to your house cause the parents care less...care less so much in fact that they have no clue where their 6, 8, 10, 12 year old is.

Maybe when parents stop being scared of their kids they may start to teach them something.

Bingo.

Teaching kids to respect elders, authority, parents etc is not something you start when they're 16. I've got twin 18 year-old boys. They know respect and have known it since they were old enough to grasp the concept. Nothing else was acceptable. My boys are both 6 ft now. Their mother is 5 ft. She says "jump" and they still say "how high". Until they no longer live under my roof, nothing else will be acceptable. They bought in to that concept long ago...

Blaming the parents till you know the whole story is Bullshit. as the Father of a 16yr old girl who is Borderline personality disorder (Diagnosed Late) I have always provided a stable loving home but with mental disease it does not always matter. so to simply blame the parents based on a newsaper article is bullshit. The system for mental health Particularly in adolesents is lacking hugly and Parents have to literaly fight tooth and nail to get anyone to listen to them.

just my $.02

Blaming the parents till you know the whole story is Bullshit. as the Father of a 16yr old girl who is Borderline personality disorder (Diagnosed Late) I have always provided a stable loving home but with mental disease it does not always matter. so to simply blame the parents based on a newsaper article is bullshit. The system for mental health Particularly in adolesents is lacking hugly and Parents have to literaly fight tooth and nail to get anyone to listen to them.

just my $.02

Excellent point - parents aren't always to blame. And nobody knows the whole background. Maybe this school cop has been harassing the kid regularly. There are cops out there who can be assholes (just like anyone else) and I doubt they assign their best officers to school duty. At the same time I doubt a lot of cops are thrilled about being pulled away from other duty to babysit a school. Maybe this one is just a bully who has a few easy targets he picks on all the time. Everyone has a breaking point, and maybe this kid reached his. I'm not saying any of this is the case, but everyone is always so quick to judge without knowing the whole story.

Yeah parents aren't always to blame, but lots of times they are. I was down at Castle Falls on a long weekend last summer. There were about 8 underaged teenagers standing on the cliffs across from the picnic area, drinking beer and throwing cans in the river. There are all kinds of signs saying no alcoholic beverages, a young female fish cop showed up and one of the kids mothers runs down and yells across the river that the police are there and to dump the beer. The kids were half-cut and casually waded back across the river where the cop tried to ticket them. All the cop got was attitude, the mother took off and got the father and the group of them just got all over the young woman. I had to give her credit though she didn't back down. But the example the parents plainly made was that law and order is only for others, personally you can do whatever you want. I wouldn't be suprised if some of those kids end up in jail or worse. It was a pretty poor thing to witness, I should have pulled out my cell and taken some video and posted that on you tube.

Everyone thinks it is sooooo different today. When I was 16 I was looking for older friends to buy me beer or give me their ID when they turned 18 if they looked even remotely like me. Just like all of my friends did. My parents were typical parents, at least I think. Loving, supportive, and kicked my ass if they caught me doing things I shouldn't. Even though we did stupid *hit, but never malicious or particularly dangerous, though it too often involved too much alcohol. Just like all my other delinquent friends I finished high school (though we didn't always go to class), most of us went to college, more of us eventually matured, got jobs, and now bitch about our kids (actually we bitch about other peoples kids as ours are all angels) who get into THE EXACT SAME TROUBLE that we did.

We think it is somehow more dangerous today because we hear about everything that happens. The video's in Sun's original post could not have happened as recent as what, 10 yrs ago. No one would never have known anything about this. Now it's splattered all over the intraweb. Things are not nearly as dangerous, or bad, as we are led to believe. There are the same percentage of bad kids today as there were 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000 yrs ago. Or I could be full of *hit.

from my reading of this issue it's not so cut and dry and the officer seems to have responded to an insult directed at him. sure if the student was using his head he would simply identify himself and end of issue. the video proves nothing imdao.

canada is not a police state where the police get to do whatever they want whenever they want. we have certain rights ... at least for the time being.