Fly Fusion Forums

Energetic Fish

LastBoyScout

that is it dude! higher air temps means higher water temps.. higher metabolism.. oxygen level could also effect there habits but for the most part it goes hand in hand with air and water temps.. higher water temps lowerdisolved oxygen so fish move into faster water(also easier for em too feed with higher metabolism) same with colder water higher dissolved oxygen but they have lower metabolism.... baroetric pressure might affect feeding habits btu im not sure if it affects metabolism...

In addition to what has already been said; you find low energy fish in heavily pressured catch and release fisheries, regardless of water temps. Once a fish has been caught and released too many times they seem to give up fighting hard. This is very evident with westslope cutts, in part due to their willingness to strike flies.

LastBoyScout,

In addition to the responses already posted, there are a number of factors that will effect the "fighting" or perceived fighting ability of fish:

1] Species - jumping - rainbows do it - some sub-species more than others, browns rarely do it, never seen a brookie do it

2] Body condition - some waters are nutrient poor [ fewer insects] or over-stocked resulting in poor vigor of the trout.

3] Age - teenage trout tend to go harder. The 2>4 year olds are the best fighters pound for pound.

4] Disease - many fish are effected by worms/cysts etc effecting body condition

5] Sex - I know this is a family show but generally female fish fight harder than males! It's the "hard to catch" thing.

catch ya'

Don

that is it dude! higher air temps means higher water temps.. higher metabolism.. oxygen level could also effect there habits but for the most part it goes hand in hand with air and water temps.. higher water temps lowerdisolved oxygen so fish move into faster water(also easier for em too feed with higher metabolism) same with colder water higher dissolved oxygen but they have lower metabolism.... baroetric pressure might affect feeding habits btu im not sure if it affects metabolism...

I would bet money that oxygen has a lot to do with it. On many smaller creeks I have fished that do not have many bubbling riffles, the fish do not jump/fight nearly as hard as other rivers that are very close that do.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget genetics. Certain strains of fish will jump high and run hard (like the bow river rainbows) while others wont fight quite the same (crowsnest rainbows, for example)... they'll still put up a good scrap, but nothin like a bow R rainbow. Besides the Bow, there's only one other place I know of, in alberta, that has hard fighting line snappin rainbows like that... and I aint telling :P