Fly Fusion Forums

Airflo Ridgeline Problem

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Again my ridgeline is giving me a problem. Last year (you might have heard this one) i was fishing, and the line snapped directly down the middle and went sailing into the river, which while funny (after..) was quite annoying. Anyway, i got a new ridgeline for free cause of that. Anyway, i noticed yesterday that maybe 6 inchs up from the loop there is what is looking like a knife cut almost, 3/4 of the way through and only the interior piece is still holding it together. So anyway, i'm going to see if i can get ANOTHER one free, but i doubt it, and well..no more airflo for me

I use Airflow Spey line and really like it. Most cracking and line fracturing is caused by the line striking rocks, trees and the ground on the back cast. Also, most fisherman overload the line with heavy streamers, triple nymph rigs with corkies etc. The line can overload and fracture during the forward cast, when there is no more stretch left in it. These are a few of the more common causes of line problems that most manufacturers see. They usually just take the hit and give the customer a new line, as the last thing a fisherman wants to hear, is that they caused the damage to their line.

If you need to cast big weight, it is important to use a balanced system, consisting of the appropriate rod wt. , line weight, leader and tippet sizes that the fly requires. Many rod tips fracture as a result of overload as well. I have snapped a few tips this year on my single handers, trying to throw 70' casts, with 10' of T-14 and tanden #4 Cone head buggers. This will usually result in a fractured rod tip and/or a couple of tanden #4 Cone head buggers to the back of the head.

The manufacturing processes used to produce todays modern line systems, are very accurate and consistent. Quality control measures have virtually eliminated bad lines reaching the market place.

not meaning to bash at all I like airflo but I have had problems with 2 airflo lines as well, one cracked over time and broke and the other split while basically brand new and in the end broke. Both completely different lines...... but on the upside while they lasted they both casted awesome.....

I like highend SA they cast nice and they last a while which is all I ask for so I use them for the majority of my fishing.

I will be getting my airflo 40 plus line replaced as soon as I dig it out of my gear and send it back in. I was told perhaps I had recieved an old line and that they had a different coating process now or something along those lines. The company has good customer service or atleast they have had with me. And some of their lines are really good the 40 plus was my favorite streamer line and likely will remain that way once I get the new one.

I also had a rio line that wore down a bit too fast and a cheap SA line that wore down a bit too fast...... I like to usually give the benefit of the doubt to the line companies as sometimes its the products fault and sometimes its the fishermans but for me the 40 plus line is the only higher end line that ever failed really really quick in like 6 trips or so. The rest have all been more economical lines and I feel should not have been expected to last as long........ I am just happy if I get 6 months outta a line and considering its use it is unfair to expect any line to last forever

I went to the site and emailed through the contact us section and they emailed me back an address but I have yet to send it. The address is on my email at home (I'm at work) so I am not sure about the address at the moment but just send em an email explaining the problem and they either say yeah or neah right..... my line has literally only been used 6 or 7 times and apart from the split and the break looks like a brand new line so they would be hard pressed to not accept mine back....... not sure how old yours is but they may draw the line somewhere. But its worth a try for sure.