Fly Fusion Forums

Guide For Bow River

Philippft

Actually the problem for the original poster and anyone else who thinks the price of a walk and wade guided trip for one person is excessive is ... I have a choice ... take one guy on a walk and wade for $300 or $350 or whatever ... or ... one or two guys on a float for $500. Essentially, for those guides who have a full schedule, it's $300 for a day of work or $500. I don't care if the trip is for one or two guys, a float or a walk and wade ... the price is $500. I'm not going to book a one person walk and wader for anything less because I have a full slate of bookings and don't have to sell my services for less to fill empty days ... I don't have any. If you want to book my services for a day of fishing at my going rate, great! If you don't want to book my services for a day of fishing at my going rate, that's fine too because I'll be booked with someone else. There's no waiting around hoping someone will book a trip with me. Most of the time it's a juggling act fitting everyone in.

Just like any successful business, good job for what you have built it to.

Someone can always find something cheaper if this is your goal, its not always just about the price.

Actually the problem for the original poster and anyone else who thinks the price of a walk and wade guided trip for one person is excessive is ... I have a choice ... take one guy on a walk and wade for $300 or $350 or whatever ... or ... one or two guys on a float for $500. Essentially, for those guides who have a full schedule, it's $300 for a day of work or $500. I don't care if the trip is for one or two guys, a float or a walk and wade ... the price is $500. I'm not going to book a one person walk and wader for anything less because I have a full slate of bookings and don't have to sell my services for less to fill empty days ... I don't have any. If you want to book my services for a day of fishing at my going rate, great! If you don't want to book my services for a day of fishing at my going rate, that's fine too because I'll be booked with someone else. There's no waiting around hoping someone will book a trip with me. Most of the time it's a juggling act fitting everyone in.

wow booked solid for an entire season. Im guessing that is about 100-130 days on the water (6 month season on the bow)at about $500 a pop. you estimated that for each day trip that the angler pony up $30 for flies,$50 to cover your taxes/business expenses, $25 for your lunch,and another $100 for all the equipment you have had to buy(whether he uses it or not). thats $205 over 100-130 days for a total of $21,000-$26500(that is in a single season) for all the "expenses" you listed.

This is your estimate for just a single year so I assume you need to replace all your rods and boat every year. If you dont need to replace $25,000 worth of equipment a year that hourly rate you came up with sure goes up.

... a total of $21,000-$26500 (that is in a single season) for all the "expenses" you listed ... $25,000 worth of equipment a year ....

"$21,000 - $26,500 for all expenses" to "$25,000 worth of equipment", that's quite a leap. Your logic holds no merit and is entirely inconsequential.

if you know how to cast you dont need a guide you can always just . DIY .it is the only true why to fish. i have traveled to many places around the world and always diy fished. even if it is hard. the ones you do catch will be worth a thousand times more then some paid dude kissing your :$*%&: for a tip. the second money exchanges hands it loses its purity.(even if you get skunked. you can take some pride in that you are not just another :$*%&: paying for a fish)

if you know how to cast you dont need a guide you can always just . DIY .it is the only true why to fish. i have traveled to many places around the world and always diy fished. even if it is hard. the ones you do catch will be worth a thousand times more then some paid dude kissing your :$*%&: for a tip. the second money exchanges hands it loses its purity.(even if you get skunked. you can take some pride in that you are not just another :$*%&: paying for a fish)

"the second money exchanges hands it loses its purity"

Hey Tony; we are talking about guided fishing trips not your love life :lol:

Odd a member from out of country asks for guide recommendations and it turns in to a fee debate....nice hijack guys and you wonder why info is less forth coming from the longer time members that have either left or just lurk here anymore.

Please stay on topic and show some respect for the original posters of all threads.

"$21,000 - $26,500 for all expenses" to "$25,000 worth of equipment", that's quite a leap. Your logic holds no merit and is entirely inconsequential.

i suspect my logic is bang on and thus needs to be ignored

Odd a member from out of country asks for guide recommendations and it turns in to a fee debate....nice hijack guys and you wonder why info is less forth coming from the longer time members that have either left or just lurk here anymore.

Please stay on topic and show some respect for the original posters of all threads.

agree. the original poster wanted info on the river and a guide. he explained that he thought perhaps a fee of $500 seemed high ( again, out of country so likley is looking for help in that area as well). a guide then jumped all over this (cheapo tourist with a 3 weight, glad he didnt book with me,give your head a shake buddy, etc). my apologies for taking exception and high jacking, the thread but this attitude seemed to cast a poor light on all of us IMO.

Phil, there are a ton of helpful people on this site who would likley take you for a day on the river when you get here. enjoy your trip and the fishing on the Bow.

Wow man, not what you said but how you said it. Agree with the majority of your comments above, people often don't see the underlying costs in a lot of services. You can however educate them politely, at the end of the day the customer is the reason you have a job. With regards to tips I know the percentages and I tip well, however they are earned not to be expected.

Well put. My guide friends who have chosen this life do it because like Max said "they love it and would not change it for anything". They have also built up their clientèle so the biggest part of their business is the repeat customer who knows the costs up front. The customers have also seen what it takes to pull off some of their trips so the price and service is ok with them.

From my own experience as a whitewater guide in Maine, tips are earned. Put out a good product, give good service and maybe you get a tip. If not, I still spent the day doing something I love to do.

My 5.00 bucks. Had a lot of prep work to write this. he,he!

Hey Phil, have a great trip and enjoy whatever means you chose to fish the Bow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its to bad some are giving the guides a rip. Supply and demand and there is alot of demand in Calgary with the Bow at our door step.

I think they earn every penny for the most part. I know i make more money working shorter day and not having to deal with teaching someone you don't know and trick/ trade to have an enjoyable day.

I own my own little boat ( 12')but still get a guide 3-4 times per summer. It just sets up a great day on the water. They do all the work of rowing and you get to enjoy fishing. I have no doubt I will do it the rest of my life. maybe even more so as I get older and don't or can't row a boat to where I need to get to.

Tipping,,,,,,,, wow this is a good one and I agree its earned. No that i found a couple great guides and they know I will reward them things are great. Of the start...... it was simple. if your acting like its a race to the pick up point to get $20 and no re-call. If your back rowing tons, friendly, staying on the water above an 8 hour day ( a normal work day ). Then you get much more. The lowest I have given a few years ago was $20 tip. The most i have tipped was $200. Both were on the bow. Both guides earned every penny. lol The $200 guy even offered to give some back cause he said he had fun too. lol. " No no, its yours buddy" He worked his butt off from 8am to 8pm. back rowing, walking the boat back up river sometimes 4 time through the same run cause we hit so many. It was fantastic.

Just my 2 cents. But love what they do.

B.

From my perspective, I would much rather spend the extra 50 - 100 on a guide. There price is higher for a reason ie:experience. These guys are going to know where to catch the fish and create a great experience for their clients. If someone is offering a guided trip down the bow for 350-400, I am going to ask myself why so cheap. When you break down the rates to per/hr, it isn't alot of money after expenses.

So to all you guides, Kudos for doing what you love

From my perspective, I would much rather spend the extra 50 - 100 on a guide. There price is higher for a reason ie:experience. These guys are going to know where to catch the fish and create a great experience for their clients. If someone is offering a guided trip down the bow for 350-400, I am going to ask myself why so cheap. When you break down the rates to per/hr, it isn't alot of money after expenses.

So to all you guides, Kudos for doing what you love

I don't buy that logic at all. Guys like myself, and now maxwell, know just as much about the bow and her fish, and moods, as any of the "expensive" fellows, yet for years we have offered services for the "common" folks, so they too could enjoy this great river, if they couldn't afford the steep rates of the "big boys". Don't judge a book by it's cover.

cheers

I don't buy that logic at all. Guys like myself, and now maxwell, know just as much about the bow and her fish, and moods, as any of the "expensive" fellows, yet for years we have offered services for the "common" folks, so they too could enjoy this great river, if they couldn't afford the steep rates of the "big boys". Don't judge a book by it's cover.

cheers

Ad I like that a lot. Never used a guide as I think they charge more ten I would bother to pay.

I understand they have to invest in professional equipment, but not all anglers are in need for that equipment.

All I want from a guide is to show me the places to fish, get access to those places and have a guy along who is pleasant to fish with.

I don't do lunch when fishing, who has time for that when they are out fishing??

So generally I am not looking for a guide, but more for a fishing buddy who knows their way around when time prohibits me to search the waters by myself.

Spent last saturday with my fishingbuddies figuring out when to come to Calgary next year and have requested a quote for september 20 till october 8.

If everything is going according to plan you will see me on the banks of the Bow during that time. :wave_smile:

Hopefully we can also get into one of the speygatherings as we don't have any over here.

I typically make it out to the Bow River for 3 or 4 days per year. As an out of province angler I personally find using a guide a good way to get the trip started, learn something and figure out what the fish are doing. When I get out on my own it gives me a chance to make the remaining days productive on the water.

The fish on the Bow are usually doing a whole lot of different things then they are in my home water.

If you are a beginer or want an easy day take a float. $500.00 bucks to me is reasonable considering most guides provide their own equipment and I am sure the shop gets their cut too. Fishtales has great guys who will embarass you by pushing the boat up river over and over again to get you into fish. If you have 2 guys $250 a day (or $25 bucks an hour) isnt too bad.

If you really want to learn something go out with Max or Brian on a walk and wade. They are both oustanding and will not cost you $500.00 a day. They will keep you out as long as you want. Even on days where the fishing isnt fantastic they will have you working the productive areas all day. Dont take that to mean that they wont get you into fish - they will - but can just put you there and you have to do the job.

As a reference, if you are interested in hiring a guide in Ontario, where the fishing for inland trout is not even comparable to the Bow you are in the same price range. Best I can tell its pretty standard pricing.

I typically make it out to the Bow River for 3 or 4 days per year. As an out of province angler I personally find using a guide a good way to get the trip started, learn something and figure out what the fish are doing. When I get out on my own it gives me a chance to make the remaining days productive on the water.

The fish on the Bow are usually doing a whole lot of different things then they are in my home water.

If you are a beginer or want an easy day take a float. $500.00 bucks to me is reasonable considering most guides provide their own equipment and I am sure the shop gets their cut too. Fishtales has great guys who will embarass you by pushing the boat up river over and over again to get you into fish. If you have 2 guys $250 a day (or $25 bucks an hour) isnt too bad.

If you really want to learn something go out with Max or Brian on a walk and wade. They are both oustanding and will not cost you $500.00 a day. They will keep you out as long as you want. Even on days where the fishing isnt fantastic they will have you working the productive areas all day. Dont take that to mean that they wont get you into fish - they will - but can just put you there and you have to do the job.

As a reference, if you are interested in hiring a guide in Ontario, where the fishing for inland trout is not even comparable to the Bow you are in the same price range. Best I can tell its pretty standard pricing.

Many kind thanks for you kind offer and advice. Too be honest, I was very surprised at the debate that kicked off when I made my original enquiry and there seems to be a lot of mixed views, with some being quite offensive!

I am now more informed after reading some of the comments posted and I have found the vast majority of people who have contacted me to be very helpful and as a result I have an excellent guide for my visit next year who has been recommended to me by a number of members and confirmed by others.

I look forward to fishing the bow next year and perhaps will have the good fortune of meeting some of you on the river.

Many kind thanks for your time and advice.

Phil the Fisher

Phil,

May be we meet at the river in September.

I just booked my vacation and will be landing in Calgary September 20.

I certainly know you are going to enjoy your trip, as I am returning for the 6th time and many more will follow.

Rob

Indeed.

Although I can see why you need a guide in an offshore situation or really big water, or maybe if you're dead set on fishing from a drift boat, but for the most part DIY is the ultimate form of fishing. And if you have one day to fish...sure, get a guide - I guess.

To go somewhere for a week or two weeks when you have accessibility to fishing, and then hire a guide every time you fish?

[edited - Please review the posting guidlines]

When you go with a guide it is he or she that caught the fish; you're just a tool.