Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Cuttie Trip 2009

reevesr1

Last weekend I did a 4 day trip with ReelLife and Troutlover fishing the Kootenay's. ReelLife bought the trip with Gustuphson (who couldn't make it) on the StreamWatch auction. I should have kept a running diary on this trip, cuz lots happened. I can let Tim and Jared fill in, but here is a short synopsis:

On the way to the condo, we were driving on hwy 93 at about 9 PM. I was going say 110 or so. I saw three shapes in the road, two near the shoulder on the right and one just in the other lane on the left. I had time to do a quick brake and shoot the gap between the animals. Just after I passed I asked "where those wolves??!!??!?!?" "For sure" was the reply. Had I hit one, I wonder if I would have had the balls to go back?

Anyway, got to the condo and the next morning, after a nice french toast ala troutlover breakfast, we went into Invermere, picked up the classified water stamps, and headed out to creek 1. I've fished this creek several times in the past. It fished ok (I have no pictures since I forgot my camera, but I'm quite sure Tim and Jared have lots), fewer fish and less size than expected, but it was nonetheless gorgeous. More importantly, I don't think I fell once, which is the only day this can be said. Capped the day with marinated steak and beer.

Day 2:

Another French Toast extravaganza and back to Invermere for classified stamps for days 2 and 4. Went to water none of us had ever laid eyes on. Took some advice from a local fly shop owner and when we followed his directions, was faced with what might be the smallest "river" ever. Teeny, tiny thing with lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of deadfall, swampy ground, more deadfall, little cutties, and more deadfall. It was pretty fun, except when I fell across some deadfall, gouged my wrist (think botched suicide attempt-bled into the river but didn't miss a cast. But for the rest of the trip everyone who looked at my wrist and seemed like they were about to call protective services), bruised my shin, swore lots. We fished the small creek for a bit, but really it was too damn small for 3 people, so we left to another river in the same system. I will be back though. Here are a couple of shots:

Typical Underbrush. I like to call this "Where's Tim?"

p9180048.jpg

Jared fishing one of the bigger pools. I'm not kidding.

p9170046u.jpg

Day 2 Afternoon:

After a too long drive (note to self: when fishing new water, arrive EARLY to give one's self time to find fishing spots), we finally found what looked like a really nice section of river two. After falling down the hill for the second time that day (and big wader rip in the ass #1) we spread out and went in search of big ass cutties. the big ass cutties did not cooperate, at least at first. As I was working upstream, I spot Jared up against some deadfall in a cliff section. I get to him and he says "I just broke my rod when I fell (ha ha ha) over that tree." "Too bad, but the truck is just up the hill. I have a backup." "I have a backup too, but look in the middle of the run." I do, and see some mayflies. And a snout. And another snout. And another snout. X15 or so. Holy crap!! So we try to fix the rod as it was broken at a joint. It looks like it is going to work, so he casts and it falls apart again. I give him my bigger hemos and I go to fish "the big one by the rock is mine" says Jared. I briefly considered catching him myself, but then a really nice fish rises in front of the rock, I cast and slurp. 16" cuttie, finally. Next cast, another fish, slightly bigger. Jared tries to net it, but as usual fails miserably. He reaches out and I yell "don't grab the..." Snap "leader. Damnit Jared, it's effin 5x. Learn to net an effin fish" Jared says he's sorry, and I start to feel bad. But only for a minute! Jared fixes his rod again, casts, hooks the rock fish and the rod falls apart again. As he is hand landing the fish I tell him "I'm going to get Tim, you can use my rod until I get back." I can't believe I didn't take a picture of Jared landing the fish by hand! I find Tim downstream working some other risers (by this time I can see they are everywhere), tell him about Jared and go back upstream. To find:

p9180050.jpg

p9180051.jpg

p9180052m.jpg

p9180053.jpg

That's my rod by the way. I'm such a nice guy. Jared decides to go get his rod and I decide to go downstream to cross the river and fish the same run from the other side. I got a couple of risers out of a smaller run on the way back, get back to the first run to find:

p9180054.jpg

p9180055.jpg

p9180057.jpg

We got a few more (a dozen or so in total), the hatch died, and the fishing 100% shut down. No other fish, anywhere. We know there were tons of fish in the river, but they wanted absolutely nothing to do with what we were offering. Same thing with another spot downstream. Damn strange.

The rest of day 2 (more falling and a few more fish) and days 3 and 4 to follow.

I've also seen wolves on a few occasions on that stretch of highway I was floored the first time I saw one and there was no mistaking it. There oddly enough is more or less 5 million deer along there for about 15 km, coincidence?

I have also seen wolves along that section of Highway 93 both years I lived out in Radium for the summer. Probably the best place to see a wolf in the rockies. I know last year they reduced the speed of that section of highway to 60 km/h when there were alot of sightings. Managed to snap a picture of one last summer when I was with my cousin.

1002908o.th.jpg

We left the previous stretch of river frankly scratching our heads. We knew there were fish, but not how to catch them. By this time I was using 5 and 6x tippet, and some pretty small flies at times. Nothing seemed to work, unless they were on a hatch. So we continued on downstream. For the first time that day we would be on non-fly fishing only water and could chuck some streamers or nymphs (and as it turns out, wish I had done the streamer thing that day).

We found some water very near the road that looked wonderful (and let me comment on the road system in BC. LOVE IT!). We did not hold out much hope, or at least I didn't, because we were so close to the road, but the fishing was actually ok. After I fell down bank #2 and put the second and third big rip in my waders, Tim got several on nymphs and dries, one of which was a really nice cuttbow (or at least he claims it was, nobody but Tim saw it). I found a nice little pool in a side channel with 3 cutties that wanted to play with my blue humpy, and I think Jared found some fish. After that played out, we went to our fourth river of the day to close things out. Saw a couple of bikinis which is always nice and Jared and I closed the day with a few feisty rainbows (mostly Jared!). We ended day 2 with more beer and really I can't remember what meat. Oh yeah, it was the pork I totally overcooked. A couple of shots of the afternoon:

This is Jared not catching anything just before I come behind him pulling out a few fish with the magic blue humpy:

p9180063.jpg

A little more downstream, I think (though this could be from the next afternoon. They start to look the same!):

p9180062.jpg

On Day 3, after an omelet breakfast by yours truly, we did our only non-classified water day. We started back at the river I fished last week with the boys. And the day started great. Lots and lots of little fish in every little pocket. I got a dozen in the first hour. Size left something to be desired, but they were hungry and willing. Hopes were very high when we got to a series of pools, but just like last week, the pools did squat. At the end of the pools, and 2 hours of fishing later, I had caught one more fish. Everyone else was doing about the same. We did see a couple of big bullies doing there thing, and that was cool. Jared caught them both and we had a nice shore lunch. Ok, not really. I got a little irritable because WHERE WERE THE STINKING CUTTIES!!!!!!!!! Lots of hiking to get down there, the water was perfect, and 0 nice cutts. Just didn't make sense. So I had a short bout of grumpiness, but only a short one. We decided to hike out a bit early and go to what is usually a slam dunk for mid teens cutties. Here are some shots of Day 3 and the grumpy morning:

Took this same pic last week, almost

p9180001o.jpg

We called this the "Miracle Mile" as it was the longest stretch of unimpeded walking we had done the whole trip!!

p9190003v.jpg

So off to the old slam dunk creek. Never big fish, but usually lost of 10-14" cutties. Except that day. We got some little cutts and a several brookies. I did ok at times on a streamer and Tim found several on dries. Jared found fish here and there as well, but it was frankly disappointing from a fishing perspective. But we found a beautiful canyon section I had never fished before. I can't seem to find the pictures of the afternoon, and it is possible I forgot to take any. Jared and Tim have some I'm sure. Back to the condo for some nice chicken, Guiness and the last of the Dos Equis (we are the most interesting men in the world).

Day 4 started with scrambled eggs, packing the truck and heading out early to scout water. I was very excited to fish these two rivers I had always wanted to try. We found more just beautiful headwater fishing in pretty rough country, and as more creeks came in and the river got bigger, it went into a big river valley that was a dream to walk. Except for the hill I fell on and bruised my butt. We continued to work our way down and ended the day and trip mid afternoon in some of the most perfect water below a waterfall you could imagine. The fishing was, like most of the rest of the trip, just so-so. But they are there and we'll figure them out next time. We got most on dries, a couple on nymphs and a couple on little streamers.

It would be hard for me to describe how much fun I had on this trip. Unreal country and 2 fantastic guys to fish with. Perfect. Here are the shots of day 4:

I think this was the only fish pic I took the whole trip. The cutties on these rivers had very few spots:

p9190011.jpg

Near the headwaters:

p9190013m.jpg

In the valley:

p9200015o.jpg

p9200016.jpg

And finally, by the falls:

p9200018.jpg

Rickr.

You really need to do some research and developement of a NO FALL sticky type boot bottom.

some suggestions for you

- chew a ton of hubba bubba gum, then add to bottom of your boots.

- find some sticky tar

- double sided tape (waterproof, if you can find it)

- caulking like you can get in the hardware store, but stuff that never dries.. (if you can find it) lol

- the last thing I can think of would be, paint all the river like a giant mall with giant shoe sale signs everywhere, and attach your wife to your wading shoes, she'll stick to that stream like glue!

Rickr.

You really need to do some research and developement of a NO FALL sticky type boot bottom.

some suggestions for you

- chew a ton of hubba bubba gum, then add to bottom of your boots.

- find some sticky tar

- double sided tape (waterproof, if you can find it)

- caulking like you can get in the hardware store, but stuff that never dries.. (if you can find it) lol

- the last thing I can think of would be, paint all the river like a giant mall with giant shoe sale signs everywhere, and attach your wife to your wading shoes, she'll stick to that stream like glue!

Brian,

Ive decide to keep "guy who tells too many stories and falls down alot" as my persona. I used to be "newby Texan who catches few fish" then I was "guy with the ugly yellow rod" then I was "guy who cant hook a fish with a dry fly and cusses alot". To some, I'm sure my persona is "guy who posts too much and loves to hear himself talk", but I dont like the thought of that, so Im keeping "guy who tells too many stories and falls down alot." I hope people like him better than the post too much guy.

Jared and Tim? U guys could post a few pics too by the way.