Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting Videos

Whistler

Posted a couple of videos on youtube and thought they might be of interest.

Here is some video of the switch cast done on both grass and water.

Here is a circle/snap hybrid done with an outside set and forward anchor position to enable a fishable cast from very tight quarters - ie in the trees

In both videos the rod is a Loop opti 9132 and the line is a skagit compact rigged with 14' of t14

questions/comments

Brian Niska

I started to watch it at work then my boss looked over my shoulder and asked me if it was work related, I tried my best to tell him I was doing reserch into a potiental client but he didn;t go for it,m will watch the rest when I get home from the salt mines.

Brian,

Would've a poke worked better in that situation or was there pretty much no room for a "D" loop to form??.... Cannot really tell from the camera angle.... Nice cast thu for places where you have absolutely zero backcast room and hang rods in the trees rather than line.

Nice casts brain.

In the first vid I thought you were sitting down and I was thinking to myself, wtf is he doing, then I realized that you were up to your waist.

I liked the fact that your line and d loop is formed all infront of you, nioce cast for some spots I go to on the bow for sure.

Only question I have about the switch cast is that it looks very much like a single spey to me, am I crazy, if so what are the diffrencesw between the casts? BTW nice cast very smooth and was aswome to watch, one day I will be that good.

Brian,

Would've a poke worked better in that situation or was there pretty much no room for a "D" loop to form??.... Cannot really tell from the camera angle.... Nice cast thu for places where you have absolutely zero backcast room and hang rods in the trees rather than line.

The poke is a great cast, the easy choice when maximum casting distance is needed. Also a great cast when operating from a forward anchor position. The poke however requires a significant rod move(around and rising) to set the anchor position properly, even with a forward anchor position.

If You watch the cast as demonstrated you will notice that rod is slice to the bank setting the anchor well in front of me without bringing the rod tip up and back on the set. Watch the wrist movement on the initial set, this is what makes this cast. Also watch the wrist rotation on the forward stroke. I am torquing the rod (as well as loading conventionally) to make this cast work. This works best on fast action rods with responsive tips and is a great way to generate load in all consitions but especially when casting stroke is greatly restricted. I know it is hard to see in the video but I litterally am in the trees with branches overhead, this little 'chip shot' is the solution.

Brian Niska

Very nice Brian. Is there a cast you suggest with a slower rod in that situation?

The poke is a great cast, the easy choice when maximum casting distance is needed. Also a great cast when operating from a forward anchor position. The poke however requires a significant rod move(around and rising) to set the anchor position properly, even with a forward anchor position.

If You watch the cast as demonstrated you will notice that rod is slice to the bank setting the anchor well in front of me without bringing the rod tip up and back on the set. Watch the wrist movement on the initial set, this is what makes this cast. Also watch the wrist rotation on the forward stroke. I am torquing the rod (as well as loading conventionally) to make this cast work. This works best on fast action rods with responsive tips and is a great way to generate load in all consitions but especially when casting stroke is greatly restricted. I know it is hard to see in the video but I litterally am in the trees with branches overhead, this little 'chip shot' is the solution.

Brian Niska