Fly Fusion Forums

Exploring New Water

reevesr1

Made it out on an exploring trip with kunfool (kevin) and his friend Paul and Mr. Bobloblaw. We drove up to my condo in Panorama on Friday night, drank a little beer while planning out the trip, and went to sleep dreaming of new water and lonely fish.

We woke up bright and early, or as early as you need to for mountain stream fishing, and made the drive to the creek. None of us had fished it before and had limited information on it. The day was spent doing a bunch of hiking, bushwacking, hill climbing, somewhat spooky (at least to me) descents and lots of "which way do you think we should go" questions mixed in with quite a bit of fishing. We found lots of fish, all on dries. Four species (cutties, cutbow, little bullies and lots of little rainbows). Biggest fish was 14", which was far less than we expected. We found fish in pools, runs, pocket water (I love pocket water!)-basically everywhere you would expect to find fish. Flies were typical mountain stream flies, humpies, madame x's, chew toys, ants, beetles, etc. Nothing really seemed to outperform anything else.

By the end of the day my legs felt like they'd been through a meat grinder. A couple of falls at the end of the day, followed by significant swearing, confirmed the fact the legs were not working any more. The cramps that hit me at the gas pump (and I'm sure the patrons wondered why the crazy bald guy was running around shaking his legs) were the final confirmation that maybe I'd stretched myself at least to my limit, if not beyond it. But I'd do it again tomorrow (and probably will next week

Anyway, that was my first trip to water that was new to everyone. Truly memorable day with lots of laughs, mostly at my expense (I really need to stop falling in the water!). Thanks Steve, Kevin, and Paul!! Here are a few shots:

The creek:

p9120065.jpg

p9120055.jpg

p9120053q.jpg

p9120050.jpg

The sky and early afternoon moon

p9120056c.jpg

The fish

p9110047.jpg

The Boys:

p9120067.jpg

Trees, trees, rocks, mountains, trees. :whoot: Wow... what an adventure!

And what a great group of guys with which to share such an experience. That was honestly one of the funnest, and sure to be, most memorable outings I have experienced as a fly fisher. I know this because when I got home, my mind was so overweening with all of the days senses that every time I closed my eyes I was right back in those canyons hearing the running water, wincing from the sun rays, and smelling that fresh mountain air. Pure magic.

The only down side of the day was forgetting to bring my second large bottle of water for the last leg of the journey. As I leaned over to take a sip from the clean cold river I was standing in, accidentally I dipped my camera in the water and from what I can tell its toast. A very small price to pay.

I managed to get some of the photos off the SD card. Sorry Rick, I only had one portrait of you that was recoverable, and you looked like your dog just ripped a hole in your tent trailer.

Here are the photos that I recovered:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Thanks so much guys for letting me tag along.

How tall are them guys? The Right Reverend Mr Bob Loblaw looks to be leanin' on a 13' rod instead of that 6'er he's always braggin' on

nice pics BTW I'm jealous

HA-HA-HA!!!

That's my 9ft 5wt. I used my 6ft 2wt for the first part of the day, then grabbed the 5wt so I could throw streamers in the bigger pools for bulls;

I pretty much stopped catching fish when I put away the magic 2wt, though.

Thanks for the invite, Rick; had a blast! Some great water & awesome fishin' partners; if the fish were as big as the laughs we had, we never woulda been able to land 'em! Here's some of my pics from the day...

Kevin (Kungfool) tries to pick a pocket...

p9120001x.jpg

The Texican working a run...

p9120002d.jpg

A few fishies who came out to play; parachute Madame X caught most of my fish...

p9120003.jpg

p9120004.jpg

p9120006.jpg

p9120007j.jpg

I got a little nervous when Rick tried to retrieve a fly from an overhanging tree on this DEEEEP corner pool; he has been known to fall in every now & then (not this time though!)...

p9120008.jpg

Found this guy getting a drink from the creek...

p9120009.jpg

These are NOT flower pics! They are pics of bugs (on flowers)...

p9120010.jpg

p9120011.jpg

More to come...

More pics...

Rick, Kevin & Paul head for the next run/pool/pocket...

p9120012e.jpg

This is a sweet corner pool where we hit fish on the way up & on the way back down...

p9120013h.jpg

Kevin worked this pool over, inch by inch...

p9120014.jpg

We walked several k down the road, bushwacked down to the creek & fished back to the truck...

p9120017.jpg

We weren't the only ones on the road...

p9120016.jpg

p9120015.jpg

Just had to get a shot of this mossy, old thing; yeah, back there, behind the tree :angel:smail: ...

p9120019i.jpg

Parting shot...

p9120018.jpg

Always fun, Rick; thanks again for the invite. Great to meet Kevin & Paul; see ya on the water, fellas!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what are those red guys, i spotted a few today when i was out. They appear ti have NO usable wings just jumping around.

great shots and beuty water

Anyway, that was my first trip to water that was new to everyone. Truly memorable day with lots of laughs, mostly at my expense (I really need to stop falling in the water!). Thanks Steve, Kevin, and Paul!! Here are a few shots:

I know what you mean. Went hiking with my daughter this week-end and took my 4 piece along. Found this gem of a lake that I still can't find the name of...

post-1810-1252970355.jpg

Two casts - two nice fish. I had to leave because we needed to get back to camp, but I'llbe going back with a float tube next year.

looks like a helluva trip dudes! thanks for sharing!

what are those red guys, i spotted a few today when i was out. They appear ti have NO usable wings just jumping around.

great shots and beuty water

like BBB mentioned looks like a mormon cricket.. they get huge migrations down in teh states! trout n bass love em! in the big numbers ive heard!!!!