Fly Fusion Forums

Some Pics From Down South

reevesr1

Made it out today with my brothers. We fished the jetties (big rock structures stretching several miles into the gulf to protect the Houston ship channel). Our first stop was at a shrimp boat owned by an old friend. He also had some company...

fishingjuly30012uf4.jpg

fishingjuly30024oq9.jpg

fishingjuly30030zc1.jpg

The thing about the jetties is you never know what you are going to catch. Unfortunately, no big fish for us today, but we did catch a few specks (won't bore you with more pics, and a couple of these little tooth critters, released unharmed...

fishingjuly30051ji3.jpg

fishingjuly30052uq7.jpg

You think its crowded in Alberta? This is what you get when you live next to 5 million instead of 1 million. And the boats stretched behind us a far as you can see. What do you think it's like on the weekend?

fishingjuly30034yg3.jpg

fishingjuly30035tp5.jpg

Uh oh, maybe time to skeedaddle? We just made it to the dock when this hit. More bark than bite, blew about 25 MPH or so, not for very long. But if you haven't been through one of these in Texas, its hard to describe how hard it rains.

fishingjuly30053ds6.jpg

Anyway, hope to have some more tomorrow. It looks like to surf is going to be on in the morning. Feels like opening day to me....

Nice report. Are you catching any on the fly?

Notice I didn't put anything in there huh? So the first place we stopped was a very shallow reef. Both my brothers were throwing big topwater baits and I was throwing a pencil popper and clouser with the 8 wt. I was so nice casting off the boat (ie, high up) and no wind! Getting better at the double haul as well. But no fish. We did have some blow ups on the topwaters and I think I had one chase the popper, but no hookups.

The jetties are pretty much a bait place. Catching them on any type of artificial can be frustrating, particularly when everyone around you is catching.

The plan is fly rod in the morning in the surf until the wind shuts me down, then plastics with my old rod and reel. No bait tomorrow, unless plans change drastically.