Fly Fusion Forums

Record Brown Caught

alhuger

ESPN on both fish:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing...tory?id=4466614

As to keeping the fish....

I was with a friend a couple of years ago when he caught a fish of a lifetime. The fish was around 11 lb, and a BIG one is 8. Biggest speckled trout (saltwater fish) I'd ever seen, and I've seen lots and lots. He instantly struggled with whether he should keep the fish and asked me what I would do. I said, I thought I would release it and get a replica mount, but I wasn't the one holding the biggest speck I'd ever seen. He ended up keeping it, as a fish that big was way past it's spawning life so she wasn't contributing to the gene pool any longer. And he wanted the real thing mounted, not a plastic replica. I still don't think it's what I would have done, but I had, and still don't have, absolutely any problem with it.

Both of those fish are the biggest of two of the most sought after fish in the world. Catching the biggest of either is a fantastic achievement. Neither of them (the bow was a trip and the brown I can only think was a little to old to still be capable of spawning-though I could be wrong) are contributing their genes to the pool, so what is the harm of keeping them? If there ever was a legitimate reason for a grip and grin photo op, I would think the biggest brown or rainbow ever caught may be it.

I've never fished for record fish. I actually don't really ever fish for just big fish. It's never been why I do this. I also haven't kept a fresh water fish of any kind in many years. But I'm pretty sure that if I caught the biggest rainbow or brown ever caught, I'd probably keep it. Just like the Diefenbaker guys and the fella in Michigan. Good for them.

ESPN on both fish:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing...tory?id=4466614

As to keeping the fish....

I was with a friend a couple of years ago when he caught a fish of a lifetime. The fish was around 11 lb, and a BIG one is 8. Biggest speckled trout (saltwater fish) I'd ever seen, and I've seen lots and lots. He instantly struggled with whether he should keep the fish and asked me what I would do. I said, I thought I would release it and get a replica mount, but I wasn't the one holding the biggest speck I'd ever seen. He ended up keeping it, as a fish that big was way past it's spawning life so she wasn't contributing to the gene pool any longer. And he wanted the real thing mounted, not a plastic replica. I still don't think it's what I would have done, but I had, and still don't have, absolutely any problem with it.

Both of those fish are the biggest of two of the most sought after fish in the world. Catching the biggest of either is a fantastic achievement. Neither of them (the bow was a trip and the brown I can only think was a little to old to still be capable of spawning-though I could be wrong) are contributing their genes to the pool, so what is the harm of keeping them? If there ever was a legitimate reason for a grip and grin photo op, I would think the biggest brown or rainbow ever caught may be it.

I've never fished for record fish. I actually don't really ever fish for just big fish. It's never been why I do this. I also haven't kept a fresh water fish of any kind in many years. But I'm pretty sure that if I caught the biggest rainbow or brown ever caught, I'd probably keep it. Just like the Diefenbaker guys and the fella in Michigan. Good for them.

This would be a long conversation which while it might entertain people it's unlikely to change either your or my viewpoints on the topic. If there is a compelling reason (like you need to eat it) then I support kill fisheries where they make sense ecologically. Killing something as awesome as either of those fish simply because they could, sickens me a little. Of course everyone see's it their own way. You need to enjoy the sport on your own terms.

al

Killing something as awesome as either of those fish simply because they could, sickens me a little.

and what about those who hunt for racks??? if it is legal, then what is the damn problem with keeping it??? starting to hate this site more and more everyday with all the holier than thou attitudes...

and what about those who hunt for racks??? if it is legal, then what is the damn problem with keeping it??? starting to hate this site more and more everyday with all the holier than thou attitudes...

Hang around, we need more rednecks to keep the balance fair and equitable. Personally I have somewhat of a problem with the awed reverence of introduced invasive trout and char.

Hang around, we need more rednecks to keep the balance fair and equitable. Personally I have somewhat of a problem with the awed reverence of introduced invasive trout and char.

You both apparently chose to ignore my last sentence "Of course everyone see's it their own way. You need to enjoy the sport on your own terms.".

I am with you on this one. I am starting to frequent this forum less and less as it seems that almost every thread is riddled with this type of attitude and it is getting boring. Everything from taking pictures of your fish, sharing locations, random camping,etc etc etc. The same thing over and over again. You still get the occasional gem of someone telling about a great experience that keeps me coming back but these are getting out done by the complaint threads.

You're over reacting. As I pointed out to taco, I think everyone needs to enjoy the sport. If you're within the limits of the law, have at it. Obviously it does not mean I have to like what you do if you opt to kill a record sized fish. Life's funny that way eh? At the end of the day, this is fishing. Just fishing. It's not where I set my moral compass although I am a strong advocate of sustainable fisheries. As for you starting to hate the site, are you sure your reactions (like that above) are not adding to it sucking just a little more every day?

al

You both apparently chose to ignore my last sentence "Of course everyone see's it their own way. You need to enjoy the sport on your own terms.".

No I caught that and my comment really wasn't directed @ you. To my mind there is absolutely no difference between the introduced fish in the Bow River and the fish in Bullshead or Police Lake.

You're over reacting. As I pointed out to taco, I think everyone needs to enjoy the sport. If you're within the limits of the law, have at it. Obviously it does not mean I have to like what you do if you opt to kill a record sized fish. Life's funny that way eh? At the end of the day, this is fishing. Just fishing. It's not where I set my moral compass although I am a strong advocate of sustainable fisheries. As for you starting to hate the site, are you sure your reactions (like that above) are not adding to it sucking just a little more every day?

al

if anyone thinks that MY reactions make this site suck MORE than the high and mighty attitudes on anything from random camping to C&R to pictures of fish, then please, let me know now and i'll gladly disable my account...this includes you al...

if anyone thinks that MY reactions make this site suck MORE than the high and mighty attitudes on anything from random camping to C&R to pictures of fish, then please, let me know now and i'll gladly disable my account...this includes you al...

I think we'd all be that much poorer with your absence.