Fly Fusion Forums

Pop Quiz For Y'all

nothing wrong/weird about either of these fish IMO. the first one looks like a prime example of a westslope, including the parr like marks and the pinky looking markings. the second just doesnt have many spots, not uncommon in cutts.

M

Actually its the size of the spots, they're bigger than the norm for Alta WSCT. Caught a dozen and a half outta there and they're just like peas in a pod. Thought @ first these had some yellowstone genetics but now I ain't sure. The stream was stocked with cutts in the 20's and 30's then received periodic stocking of rainbows until 89. Probably just another spotting phase.. from almost no spots like BBTrout's cutt to heavily spotted like on the Liv and the OM to this and mostly testing DNA pure. Damn things are all over the map as spotting patterns goes.

Remember that thread BBBrent, back on crybaby's BB about that ongoing UofL study.

Another thing.. see how dark the fish are, late in the yr to be that dark. Pics where taken Aug !st

aug1troutsharples018bc8.jpg

Sorry for the ramblings, got chased outta my fishin' holes and now I'm spending too much thinkin'

and Maxwell....north of #3 but south of 520

Take Care and someone do a rain dance

I find that cutthroat are very variable in colour pattern. In some parts of the province this is due to different strains beiong stocked over the years, but even in streams where I believe the strains are basically native there is a lot of variation. You will get the really rosy and yellow, heavily spotted ones one cast, and the next cast will pick up an almmost silver one with few spots, then you'll get one with many very small spots. Quirk Creek is like that among others.

I've noticed that a lot of rainbows in the Crow exhibit parr-like markings at an age class that they shouldn't be present. Also, look at these rainbow photos :

BigRB.jpg

UpperRainbow.jpg

I talked to the biologist about these pics & he said they are most likely the same strain. These fish were caught from the same body of water on the same day. I asked the biologist about it as I thought it was so unique that they looked so different, but in the end they are supposedly from the same heritage. Interesting.

thats one gem u found there taco...

glenbow theres 20plus rainbow (redband) species plus if u figure all the stocking and crossbreeding that has gone on over the decades...rainbows too me and im sure some would agree are the most complex in genetics too figure em all out. the top pic ive seen in a few dozen lakes/streams but the redband on the bottom ive only found a few streams in b.c. were they reproduce naturallyand the odd stocked lake. the crow trips me out cuz there seems too have haldozen or more with crossbreeding for years different distinct bows with some cutt in em too. but some redbankds aka rainbows do have orange slashes and bellies like cutties but have no cutthroat in em.