Fly Fusion Forums

Go Pros For All You Film Buffs

bjbailey

Hey all - I've got a question for those of you that use go pros on the river. Do you prefer a chest mount or head mount (or other?) for ease of she and quality of filming. I fished solo in New Zealand last year and bought a go pro so I could capture some of it on film but found that with my chest mount I saw a lot of hands and arms!

• Like 1

Up until now I have been using a head mount most of the time when filming point of view fishing scenes with my gopro but I'm looking into setting something up on the shoulder of my line hand (left shoulder). That will need some experimenting in the upcomming season. I had similar issues as you describe with using a chest mount.

I've never tried the chest mount.

I use a head mount, I figured what I was looking at the camera was looking at.

I've got the first generation and wish I had a newer model with remote. A lot of feedback is heard on playback when you toggle through the menu.

Great for pike fishing , usually take a pole & either get it in the air above if there's lots of fish & it's clear or some face to face underwater action.

I don't own one but I am thinking of getting one and will throw in my two cents. The head mount will probably give you the best POV perspective, but will also look the goofiest (IMO). If I end up getting on, I plan on mounting it on a monopod to try and get some good shot of the fish underwater, or hopefully even coming up to take the fly.

Im a huge go pro'ist (is that a word?) I use a combination of head mount, monopod, and mini-tripod. Head mount is king when your using both hand and want to capture a POV perspective. A must have. for underwater shots, i use alot of telescopic monopod with color correction lens. Its a neat little utility if you want to get some good, close up underwater stuff, as well as a birds eye view when fishing with a buddy. For underwater, a color correction lens will make your shots alot more appealing as opposed to all the color being drowned out by the greens and blues. You lose all reds and magentas without one, which brings alot of life to your underwater shots. Mini pod with wifi remote is useful when you want a third person stationary from a cliff or what not. I dont own three cameras so its a little hassle to change stuff around. but it is all worth it when you compile all three perspectives and edit them all together. Its added a whole new facet to fishing for me.