Fly Fusion Forums

Who Uses Orvis Fly Rods?

Was just wondering if anyone here uses Orvis 5Wt rods and what they like or dislike about them? I am in the market for a new rod and might pick up a Trident or even a Hydros. any opinions would be great. Also same goes for a reel to match.. Possibly Battenkill Large Arbor or something similiar.

Thanks in advance.

Was just wondering if anyone here uses Orvis 5Wt rods and what they like or dislike about them? I am in the market for a new rod and might pick up a Trident or even a Hydros. any opinions would be great. Also same goes for a reel to match.. Possibly Battenkill Large Arbor or something similiar.

Thanks in advance.

Are you serious, the Hydros hands down, match it with the LA Battenkill.

Orvis is a sloid company...I have broke some Orvis rods, and they get the rods (bran spankin new, most the time) back to you pretty darn fast ( couple weeks or less after you ship it.)...Not a bad word to say bout them there guy's...And, the tech support is great as well...

Cheers...Jeff..

I'd stick with the mid flex Helios/Hydros in a 9 footer if you go Orvis. While still a touch faster than the mod action rods out there, they have a good feel. We use mid arb reels. Can't go wrong with those lines of rods. We have a few Helios rods that have replaced the Scott G-Series rods for us.

You can't really go wrong buying Orvis (or any other big name brand),

HOWEVER - if it was me buying a new rod, I'd spend a day or two in the flyshops test casting

more than one brand of rod. They all cast a little different and you need to find one that fits your casting style.

:catch::catch:

My $0.02

BK

I would have to agree with Brunsie, There is alot of different companies out there all of which let you cast or demo there rods. Don't get caught up on the name, cast them all and find the one you like.

I just went through the whole finding a new 5 weight casting fiesta, and the helios won hands down for me. I realize that everyone's casting stroke is different, so casting a rod is far more valuable than reading about posts of who likes what. But, having said that, I was fervently anti-orvis (i thought it was the brand of choice for snooty lawyer type folks - no offense to any of the members who might be involved in that noble profession) before, but couldn't deny the fact that they're making one hell of a good fly rod these days. And now i am several hundred dollars poorer, but a quality rod is a quality rod. I didn't actually get to cast a new hydros, but the blanks use the same lightweight technology that made the helios feel so fine when i cast it. If it fits your casting style, i would say do it for sure.

I have various Orvis rods, all of which I am satisfied with. I do have a 5 weight Orvis and it's a gem, great for the Bow and Crow. Like someone said earlier, they have a return policy that is slick.....son broke the tip off of one and I got a whole new T3 rod mailed to me in a couple of weeks. Can't beat it.

Picked up a 5 wt Helios this weekend - specifically chose a tip flex with the understanding that this rod's unforgiving nature will help me develop as a caster. This summer, skill development sits at the top of my agenda. I suspect I may end up selling a bunch of other gear to fund a mid flex hydros as well (I sold my 12 string Ovation to pay for the Helios)

I bought a GPX sharkskin line which I am told is equivilant to a 5.5 wt line - yesterday I tried the rod with a 5wt (rio) and then switched to the GPX which certainly seems a little more managable. Also tried it with my 6wt sinking line and have to admit this rod rocks for power. Can't wait to match it up with the Nautilus reel I have coming from Bloom.

I am already dying for Hector to open - Lake is full of lunkers but getting a fly out into the nasty ass wind is always a challenge (without the spey rod anyway), especially at the bow inlet - Funny - get a new rod and within a few casts I am already planning a hit list of spots where I think it just may give me the advantage I have been looking for to get a presentation slightly out of my previous range.

Only complaint is now everything else I own feels as heavy as a brick LOL