Fly Fusion Forums

Joy Of Mentoring

Well - I had my 18 year old nefew out in Lake Louise for the summer - In the spring he attended a couple of the casting clinics me and a friend put on for locals and as a result decided he would like to learn flyfishing (ding ding my happy bell started ringing)

So this summer I watched him evolve from a master wind knotter to an outstanding angler. It was such a fullfilling experience to spend countless hours teaching him the lessons I have learned over the years here in the mountains.

He leaves tomorrow so last week I decided his last test and great experience would be hitting some water neither of us has ever fished and lettting him take the lead - After seeing someone here (sorry can't remember who) had a nice pic of a beauty cuttie from the Blackstone River we decided this would be our final all day outing - we headed up to the river west of the FSR in a remote spot we figured had little pressure (kicked the snot out of my poor tacoma getting there...awesome) and went to work fishing - man, it was so awesome watching him squat, read the water and and demonstrate perfect technique - he missed a few in the first couple pools (but I gladly demonstrated how to close the deal for him ha ha) but by the third pool he landed a 18" cutt - OMG from here the fun began it was definately more work than the standards in the area like the rams etc but the extra hiking. scaling canyon walls with your rod in your mouth and climbing massive log jams just added to the adventure - we both hauled in many fish over 16" and he definately caught the biggest of the day, actually the biggest cuttie I have ever seen in person WOW - his pic was pretty poor as he was alone so its not worth posting, and to be honest he wasn't sure how to handle it so it never came all the way out of the river (I'm glad he took that route as opposed to trying to hold such a slab that big with one hand so kudos to Mike on his fish handling and not letting ego guide him) anyway we both landed an average of about 10 to 12 large cutties (and plenty smaller guys) in 10 hours of great fishing in a beautiful environment - the extra work just made each landing all that more worth while - even the nasty sun burns were worth while and getting home at midnight and hitting the hot tub with a few coolies made for the perfect day

Anyway just wanted to share the experience as it was probably my most enjoyabe and fullfilling summer of angling to date. My nefew is now an excellent angler and is looking forward to the steelie run on the Grand River only an hour from his home - his pop (my brother in law) who had his first brookie on the fly at Emerald last night is going to get him his own outfit for xmas too.

I just wanted to share the experience as I have no doubt this is going to be one of my best memories I'll have in life - Kids are not in the cards for Sandy and I so I am now struck with a huge sense of jelousy for those of you lucky enough to have kids and have this type of mentoring as part of your childs on-going relqationship and learning experience - I would highly reccomend mentoring as a great experience to anyone who has the opportunity and I suspect I will now be looking for a new "grasshoppper" for next summer too.

PS the Blackstone - yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh didn't see another angler or sign of human life in over 5k of river - I think the trip past the David Thompson is an area I am spending much of my future outings exploring.

Great story!

Thanks for sharing!

P

Well - I had my 18 year old nefew out in Lake Louise for the summer - In the spring he attended a couple of the casting clinics me and a friend put on for locals and as a result decided he would like to learn flyfishing (ding ding my happy bell started ringing)

So this summer I watched him evolve from a master wind knotter to an outstanding angler. It was such a fullfilling experience to spend countless hours teaching him the lessons I have learned over the years here in the mountains.

He leaves tomorrow so last week I decided his last test and great experience would be hitting some water neither of us has ever fished and lettting him take the lead - After seeing someone here (sorry can't remember who) had a nice pic of a beauty cuttie from the Blackstone River we decided this would be our final all day outing - we headed up to the river west of the FSR in a remote spot we figured had little pressure (kicked the snot out of my poor tacoma getting there...awesome) and went to work fishing - man, it was so awesome watching him squat, read the water and and demonstrate perfect technique - he missed a few in the first couple pools (but I gladly demonstrated how to close the deal for him ha ha) but by the third pool he landed a 18" cutt - OMG from here the fun began it was definately more work than the standards in the area like the rams etc but the extra hiking. scaling canyon walls with your rod in your mouth and climbing massive log jams just added to the adventure - we both hauled in many fish over 16" and he definately caught the biggest of the day, actually the biggest cuttie I have ever seen in person WOW - his pic was pretty poor as he was alone so its not worth posting, and to be honest he wasn't sure how to handle it so it never came all the way out of the river (I'm glad he took that route as opposed to trying to hold such a slab that big with one hand so kudos to Mike on his fish handling and not letting ego guide him) anyway we both landed an average of about 10 to 12 large cutties (and plenty smaller guys) in 10 hours of great fishing in a beautiful environment - the extra work just made each landing all that more worth while - even the nasty sun burns were worth while and getting home at midnight and hitting the hot tub with a few coolies made for the perfect day

Anyway just wanted to share the experience as it was probably my most enjoyabe and fullfilling summer of angling to date. My nefew is now an excellent angler and is looking forward to the steelie run on the Grand River only an hour from his home - his pop (my brother in law) who had his first brookie on the fly at Emerald last night is going to get him his own outfit for xmas too.

I just wanted to share the experience as I have no doubt this is going to be one of my best memories I'll have in life - Kids are not in the cards for Sandy and I so I am now struck with a huge sense of jelousy for those of you lucky enough to have kids and have this type of mentoring as part of your childs on-going relqationship and learning experience - I would highly reccomend mentoring as a great experience to anyone who has the opportunity and I suspect I will now be looking for a new "grasshoppper" for next summer too.

PS the Blackstone - yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh didn't see another angler or sign of human life in over 5k of river - I think the trip past the David Thompson is an area I am spending much of my future outings exploring.

You were out on a VERY slow day then. It's rare you don't see a truck every 400/500 yards... in the known areas anyway. I too go down some nasty trails but it's worth it.

Good story.

Great now the word is out -thanks a lot!

Awesome report, this is my favorite river and I can picture the joy in your nephews eyes. Nice river and nice fish, rarely find one with big wounds or hooks. Don't let her fool ya though, she can be a sultry vixen one day and an ice cold bitch the next. I've had my best and worst days there.

As far as the crowds go you just have to time it right, I like wed. or thur. :).

Great now the word is out -thanks a lot!

Awesome report, this is my favorite river and I can picture the joy in your nephews eyes. Nice river and nice fish, rarely find one with big wounds or hooks. Don't let her fool ya though, she can be a sultry vixen one day and an ice cold bitch the next. I've had my best and worst days there.

As far as the crowds go you just have to time it right, I like wed. or thur. :).

Absolutely. I've had some days that did me in alright, made me want to cry.

I have also had days where I use it to compare all other days of cutthroat trout fishing,

Great account of the summer with your nephew, I would guess there are alot of people on here who wish this was themselves when they were a teenager, I know I`m one of them. It almost seems like you got the bigger kick out of mentoring him. If a few more people took the initiative like you did, they wouldnt be glued to the Play Station or hanging out at the 7-11

Hey Nav - thanks, I am am one of em - I basically learned from reading a few books and pretending to fly fish when I was actually trying not to embarrass myself while spying on other flyfishers who actually knew what they were doing LOL - A local did show me the ropes flytying, and for that I am forever gratefull - admittedly much of what I know ranging from casting techniques to proper landing and even my first spey clinic (thanks Greg) all were derived from this site (and FFA before that)

Steve - I was gonna ask you the same thing !

My nefew spent his last day hiking to the summit of Mount Temple today - I wish I was half that motivated in life, his aptitude and attitude made it easy !