Fly Fusion Forums

Just Bought A Rod!

well....you all know I was in the market again cause of my experience on Monday of this week past..so after listening to several ppl, I drove down to the new shop in town, [and because I don't know if I can put their name on this board, I'll leave it off]..anyway, what I bought for a really great price [thanks Doc..as well as Maxwell..for ur input, I bought a Loop..9',5wt, the Trout Bum..and I also called BP to check on their price...Man I tell you I save $200.00 cause it only cost me $250.00..and boy was I lucky..there were only 2 left..now there is but One!

..so tomorrow..it is Cherry Picken Time...was really impressed with the triple A cork handle plus the colour of the blank with the corresponding reel seat...quite classy I might add..0101054.gif.................Wolfie

Well then...I bought it at SouthBow..Dave served me...a real nice store it looks like it is on the way..I wish him luck..and did any of you see that huge map of the Bow he put up on the wall..it is not finished Dave said cause he will put on it just the regular everyday spots like ..fish creek..policeman flatts..Mackinnon flatts and Carsland Dam for sure......................

..I'm glad you liked it Jayhad..I was impressed cause I enjoy a fast tip on my rods..actually the faster the better, not only for the performance of the rod but the power it has for the kill!.....my CP rods are like that..............Wolfie

I bought one earlier this year. Great rod with a Rio Gold line on it for shooting line and spey casting. Getting used to the composite handle will take a little time.

that is exactly what line I'm putting on it..mine is gold wt 6..should go like a bullet, and you say, you are using it as you would a spey rod...that is a bonus for sure..maybe I'll write to the manufacture and ask if they have a special add on but for it ..hmm..the one that has an extendable metal arm that is pulled out of the end of the reel seat...............Wolfie

I grabbed a Bum a couple of weeks ago, :) Went down to SouthBow, (great shop by the way if you haven't visited it yet do so). Tested a number of rods. The ones that stood out where the Loop Opti Creek a honey of a rod especially matched with the Opti creek line, which I believe the Trout Bum would love. Slightly out of my budget but on my list. Tried the Loop Trout Bum and instantly fell in love. Bought it on the spot. As I was telling Wolfie it seems to have a healthy grain window. It loves Rio lines and lays a nice dry with a Sylk line. Was dropping dries inches from snouts the other night without spooking. This is one hell of a rod. Dave was saying they are trying to find a few more before they finally disappear.So if you want one...

Do you already have a Gold 6wt or are you buying one for it? I'd try it with a 5wt Gold as well. I'm using a 4wt Gold on my 4wt Loop Opti Stream, which I feel is a faster rod than the AEG and it casts beautifully for dry flies. Honestly I'm not crazy about using the Gold for nymphing or single hand spey casting though. Try a Loop Opti Stream line for those purposes.

that is exactly what line I'm putting on it..mine is gold wt 6..should go like a bullet, and you say, you are using it as you would a spey rod...that is a bonus for sure..maybe I'll write to the manufacture and ask if they have a special add on but for it ..hmm..the one that has an extendable metal arm that is pulled out of the end of the reel seat...............Wolfie

hey dude spey casting can be done single or double handed.. i believe that is what jayhad was refering too! its a sick stick and cant be beat for the price they are at that is forsure! i would stick with the 6wt line for a multi purpose line but the 5 might suite you better if you havnt tossed a few lines with it!

hey dude spey casting can be done single or double handed.. i believe that is what jayhad was refering too! its a sick stick and cant be beat for the price they are at that is forsure! i would stick with the 6wt line for a multi purpose line but the 5 might suite you better if you havnt tossed a few lines with it!

Maxwell..just the feel of the rod yesterday in my hand 'told' me that the 6wt Rio Gold I bought for my secret weapon would work well with it...I'm from the "old" school my young friend that taught me when a rod states a certain line wt..you can use one up [as in a weight forward] or you can use [one down as a wt forward], in this case a 4wt forward and a 6wt forward, plus of course the two standard wts for this rod..5wt.

..I'd like to try a spey line on it to see how she would preform, but the spey style of casting I thought jayhad was referring to, so I was right, great, when I'm out in the field and no one is around , I throw out some single hand casts..that way no one can see me strangling myself...th_YOyCuR3lt35oPVTy1ZeKw6puQs.gif..................Wolfie

was really impressed with the triple A cork handle plus the colour of the blank with the corresponding reel seat...quite classy I might add..0101054.gif.................Wolfie[/i]

You realise that it is not Triple A Cork at all. It's a composite and synthetic mix with ground up cork.

You realise that it is not Triple A Cork at all. It's a composite and synthetic mix with ground up cork.

quite true...but m8..u go and buy that in 1/2" pieces and then you tell me that the cost is not the same as T A cork..plus, if you fish in rain, as in BC, or else where, this type of cork doesn't let your hand slip...................Wolfie

sounds like the sale pitch worked. Just mentioning your mistake, you called it Triple A Cork, and it's not.

Ahh...pure semantics my dear Watson..........there was no sale pitch involved, I just picked up the rod felt the action [fast] then saw the power as I flicked it..that was it...I'm very fussy when it comes to things for me..but I know when things are good..............Wolfie

...so you going to get the last one for ur self?

I picked one up a few weeks ago as well, what a great rod, enough back bone to throw a big nymph rig and then turn around and throw drys. I too went with the Rio Gold 6wt line, as Max recommended, thing roll casts great. and my spy casting is improving. over all this is going to be my goto rod, when Southbow can not get any more in, I saw that Basspro has one on the rack for 410. Hey Jay you ever gona put up any of those pics?