Fly Fusion Forums

Planning Ahead----- One Year +

jack

Just got back from my annual "Pink Run" trip to Bella Coola. While I was down there, this embryo of an idea began. Why not at least attempt to share "The Valley" with others?

My random thoughts:

"Northern" Coho Run Time: 3rd week in September(not those itty bitty Southern cousins)

Rivers: Atnarko and Bella Coola, many points of access

Accommodations: Hosted by Gnome Home RV Campground for 45-50 tents, campers, small trailers(I'm absolutely sure I can negotiate a group rate with the owner).

Our Proposed Hosts

An excuse to go to one of the world's most scenic valleys, drive one of Canada's most spectacular and historic roads, fish one of BC's best salmon rivers and for rookies, learn to spey fish, not just "cast".

Yes, "It's a long way from here"['i](That's why it's like it is, Silly),

The distance from Calgary, Alberta to Bella Coola, British Columbia is approximately 550.3 miles (885.7 km).

Yes, "I usually go somewhere else at that time" (so do something new next year)

Yes, "It would be an expensive trip" (So carpool and share expenses)

"I don't know if I can get time off." (It's over a year away, for crissake, start now)

"My wife won't let me." (Suck it up, or invite her along for the trip of a lifetime)

I've had a couple of guys contact me about this "idea", with some pretty significant suggestions for an "event" From an equipment show & tell, to organized spey fishing lessons(on the river), to making it a week-long shindig so as many people as possible could attend at some point. It's going to be ponderous and repetitive to keep bumping this thread, so:

IF you think you MIGHT take a stab at attending

OR

You have constructive ideas to add to the venue(with the full intent to help out),

SHOOT ME AN EMAIL with your full contact info:

flyfishing2009@gmail.com

So I can keep a record of everything then start making arrangements.

I have posted this on the Spey Page of FlyBC so it would be a joint "thing". (No, not THAT kind !)

j

j

• 1 month later...
You are making it hard to say no Jack!

Ahhh BellaCoola, havn't been there for over ten years but we used to go yearly, one of my friend's parents actually homesteaded there. Last trip ( 1995) 5 buddies and I rocketed down that one lane goat path in a motorhome. Back then we fished big kitimat lures for springs in June and July. Never had much luck but I love the country. Still hard on myself for not buying an old house with 6 acres on the BC river near Hangensborg for $25k. And while I have never used a spey rod this old dog loves new tricks...sk